Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 pm
All times are UTC + 0
GMAX support at Autodesk is officially discontinued!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject:  GMAX support at Autodesk is officially discontinued! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(Thanks MadIvan at CnCWorld) If you have visited GMAX's section at Autodesk, you might have seen the following warning:

"As of October 6, 2005, Autodesk will no longer offer Gmax® software as a stand-alone product. If you are interested in other 3D animation, modeling, and rendering applications from Autodesk please check out Autodesk® 3ds Max® software. You can download a free 30-day trial, view product demonstrations, read customer success stories, and get more information about this powerful, versatile product.

Autodesk® 3ds Max® 8 is the latest version of our award-winning 3D software. Designed to provide the most comprehensive and advanced 3D design tools and pipeline workflow, 3ds Max is one of the industry’s most popular solutions for game development, design visualization, and film and video production."

If you have yours, make a good use of it. There are other free modellers around such as Anim8or and Blender3D. But only GMAX exports models to W3D. GMAX is still available at TurboSquid and all supports is available there. The Renegade Public Tools (that contains RenX) is available at the Westwood Public FTP.

Last edited by Banshee on Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

johnym
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think i`ll release a tool i scraped long ago. It was basically GmaX with pre-installed RenX and W3D Importer. It also contained the Westwood W3D Tutorials, Gmax` Official Tutorials, GmaX Help files and the MaxScript guide all pre-installed. It will be a lot of work but i will do it this time Smile.
I want to know what EA`s/Autodesk`s reactions will be on this but i guess there is no way to find out.

Keep in mind that the W3D Tools Released with renegade are outdated and AFAIK dont have some features that any W3D-based engine would support (some sort of W3D Animating i think, dont remember exactly..) and BFME1 has new chunks of data that the W3D Tools can`t support.

Just a small reminder that when Generals was released, we were promised updated w3d tools, world builder and ladder kit. From them-we got only world builder and the WAK Files Header (or Source or whatever it is called) as a bonus.

ps: I am Mad Ivan.I cant login to my 'Mad Ivan' account for some reason. Can someone delete it and replace it with this account? And my ICQ# is 117855039 if anyone wants to make sure its me Wink

ps2: I am back to updating Dark Heart Studios

ps3: Banshee, 3DSMax CANT export to W3D. There are no plugins released for it. As far as i remember - Silent Kane from the Renegade forums managed to disassemble the W3D Tools For GmaX and port them to 3DS, but he is slightly selfish (with all of his work).

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Keep in mind that the W3D Tools Released with renegade are outdated and AFAIK dont have some features that any W3D-based engine would support (some sort of W3D Animating i think, dont remember exactly..) and BFME1 has new chunks of data that the W3D Tools can`t support.

W3D Viewer crashes with meshs from BfME models that have the chunk B00, C00 and C01. But B00, the new mesh type, is not supported in any released EALA game. C00 and C01 has 3 floating values per vertice, but not one can confirm the real roles from them. I hope that, with BfME II being released in the next semester, EALA update us with this info.

Also, BfME has a new hierarchy version and a new mesh version, I think, but I have no idea of their contents.

Quote:
ust a small reminder that when Generals was released, we were promised updated w3d tools, world builder and ladder kit. From them-we got only world builder and the WAK Files Header (or Source or whatever it is called) as a bonus.

There was no change in the W3D format between Renegade and Generals, so the W3D Viewer and exporter were up to date on that time.

Quote:
ps2: I am back to updating Dark Heart Studios

Good Smile

Quote:
ps3: Banshee, 3DSMax CANT export to W3D. There are no plugins released for it. As far as i remember - Silent Kane from the Renegade forums managed to disassemble the W3D Tools For GmaX and port them to 3DS, but he is slightly selfish (with all of his work).

Yea, you're right. I'll fix my news.

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

johnym
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
There was no change in the W3D format between Renegade and Generals, so the W3D Viewer and exporter were up to date on that time.

I agree.
But on a side note, there are a few options that are unusable in Generals.

-The W3D Tools "Dazzle" is unusable in Generals. The code has been commented out from the engine and even inclusion of a Renegade Dazzle.ini in the Generals Dir wont do the trick.
-The W3D Flare is also unusable in Generals.
-Collision Options arent usable in Generals.
-The W3D Tools "Shatter" option is unusable in Generals. In Renegade it produced "brakeable" objects if you name them "WINDOW" or something like that.
-In the Material Editor "Surface Type" is unusable in Generals.It controled "object<->surface collision" effects (eg when a soldier "collides" with "Tiberium Water" he starts loosing health Wink)
-The "Silhouette" Type Mapping is Obsolete for both Renegade and Generals and WASNT EVEN REMOVED FROM RENX.WHY?!
(On a side note - BumpEnv Mapping never had a real description in the Official Westwood W3D Guide...)
-LOD Is Useless in Generals (i think?)

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, LOD is useless in Generals.

They had to disable some stuff to make the game smoother, I think.

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

TerroR
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So you have to pay for shitty gmax soon?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Download is still free.. but don't ask me for how much time it will stay free, because I have no answer for that.

TerroR
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dont they make enoguhmoneyfrom 3dsmax

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I doubt they do. It costs so much because it takes years and millions of dollars to develop to the point its at. Add in the fact that its a very narrow market, and you have an unsuccessful business. Fortunately, their main purchasers are professional modeling/animation houses which buy many licenses. So their profit margin is probably not anywhere even close to the width you think it is.

johnym
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is an update:

Quote:

Dear Gmax users,

I am here today to inform you that Autodesk has officially decided to end its support for the Gmax product and that their company has stopped support for it effective October 6th.

Since Turbo Squid is a valuable partner for Autodesk and we've been managing the product and community on their behalf for the past year, they've allowed us to continue to offer the Gmax download until November 1st so that we can effectively manage the transition for this now defunct product. At that point, the ability to download Gmax from our site will be removed as will the ability for users to get authorization codes for the product.

These forums will continue to operate for the community for a small period of time beyond that date, and we'll be happy to try and assist the community during that time.

Respectfully,

-=Beau

Beau Perschall
VP of Publishing
Turbo Squid, Inc.

Quote:
Yesterday, I talked to an Autodesk representative on the phone. I should get an email that will repeat what I talked about with them. Phone conversation was a bit hard for me to hear as the Autodesk representative was on a cell. The volume of the conversation wasn't good so I may not have heard everything ok.

One of the arguments I have heard before and I think Autodesk repeated it, is that for the past 2 years, no new gamepacks had been created on the game company sides. So this means no money for Autodesk. Also, GMAX is very costly to maintain on the developement side (it is 3d max 4.X based and we are at 3d max 8 now !).

Overall, it seams to be related to no new clients and costly developement. Again, I will get a written confirmation as the phone discussion wasn't of a good quality so I might be wrong on a few things.

As for those that have GMAX now, if you should re-install it, you could either use the registry workaround or change your PC clock to match the registration email you got and re-enter the same registration code.

For those wanting to get GMAX before it disapears, registration should still be available at Turbosquid (I think!) via http://www.turbosquid.com/support (and click the GMAX link).

johnym
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the double-post, here is a link to the discussion @ the GmaX Forums - Click Here

I am "Mad6822" there.

Quote:

I`m from the command&conquer mod community.
I had in mind of putting gmax up for download with the C&C GamePack Pre-Installed.
EA already released Renegade, Generals (+Expansion) and Lord Of The Rings:Battle For Middle Earth. The problem is that the current gamepack supports only Renegade and Generals (LOTR has some changes in the format) and GmaX is the only software we have for models. Banning the gmax distribution will 'kill' modding, because newbie modders wont have a tool for modeling and oldbies sooner or later will leave the community in favour of other games/real life.

Inst there a way to talk Autodesk into allowing distribution?

This is my post.I`d like to ask everyone that feels the same way to register and support me on the turbosquid forums.This is for the C&C Community!

I have updated the situation on DHS.Please read what i have to say there. I`ll e-mail a few CNC Sites News-Updaters to help me out by spreading my message.

Banshee, can you post on ppm main about this one too?

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeathRay2K wrote:
No, I doubt they do. It costs so much because it takes years and millions of dollars to develop to the point its at. Add in the fact that its a very narrow market, and you have an unsuccessful business. Fortunately, their main purchasers are professional modeling/animation houses which buy many licenses. So their profit margin is probably not anywhere even close to the width you think it is.

god open-source it and the problems would be solved
have a core team approving additions and generally managing development
with the many fans GMAX has i'm pretty sure it would become up-to-date fast

johnym
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they dont want to.read thru the turbosquid thread and you`ll see.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I'm starting a campaign here. Check the news!

I'll also contact EA APOC to see EA's instance on this event.

Mad Ivan
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i`m with you on this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!