Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am
All times are UTC + 0
[YR] EAF Challenge Map (2-8)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject:  [YR] EAF Challenge Map (2-8)
Subject description: New Survival/challenge Map
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EAF Challenge Map is my newest map, it's been a while since I made any.

This one can be played with as few as 1 human and 1 comp, to 4 humans and 4 comps. Ai's have been enhanced in quite a few ways.

T̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶p̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶A̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶0̶.̶2̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶d̶.̶
If your mod is an expansion which has Original sides, it should also be playable.

The map is free use and may be edited provided you leave me credit if you use it for any projects.

Mission Synopsis:

A timer is set and all you have to do is survive.
AI will hit you with larger waves, more often, heal over time, h̶i̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶A̶p̶a̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶i̶r̶s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶s̶, paradrop you, and generally be tougher faster etc. They come from any corners you set them at, feeling brave, try multiple, but I honestly think it just fun to try and beat with friends.

Well feel free to give it a try and let me known what you guys think.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback so far, It's still symmetrical, and still planning to do more art with it. It no longer requires Ares, but has lost emergency wrench and airstrikes. If you have thoughts for aesthetics I'll take them into consideration, but otherwise it will remain very basic, and focus on game-play instead.

Below I've included the New DL for the current version without many art updates and the new mini map, Game starting places haven't changed.

Edit 1.13.13:
Made it look a little better, changed end scenario, reduced difficulty slightly, and reduced survival time from 90 to 75 game minutes. Of course if you can kill AI before then you can win earlier.

Edit 2.8.13
Reduced map size, increased difficulty slightly, modified ending, added cliffs, turned off naval yard construction, and modified triggers a bit. New screenshot and map file.

Small Edit 7.29.13
Minor Art edits, as you can see below, added a few garrison-able  buildings, and removed some code to make map slightly smaller, though moving cliffs caused it to grow bigger... Also id some other small tweaks, but nothing major.

New Download and New replacement Map shot below.

EAF Challenge Map.jpg
 Description:
New 7.29.13 Full Map Screenshot.
 Filesize:  698.03 KB
 Viewed:  9377 Time(s)

EAF Challenge Map.jpg

EAF Challenge Map.jpg
 Description:
New 2.8.13 Full Map Screenshot.
 Filesize:  630.17 KB
 Viewed:  9972 Time(s)

EAF Challenge Map.jpg

EAFCMap1.yrm
 Description:
New Map file 7.29.13
Smaller without Map Preview.

Download
 Filename:  EAFCMap1.yrm
 Filesize:  358.16 KB
 Downloaded:  162 Time(s)

EAFCMap1.yrm
 Description:
New Map file 7.29.13

Download
 Filesize:  382.84 KB
 Downloaded:  148 Time(s)

EAFCMap1.yrm
 Description:
New Map File 2.8.13

Download
 Filesize:  359.56 KB
 Downloaded:  218 Time(s)

Preplaced Neutral buildings.
Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Last edited by EricAnimeFreak on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 am; edited 9 times in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This map looks horrible ugly.
If you want players to use it, then at least spend more than 5 min into the details.

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is that... Comic Sans?

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
If you want players to use it, then at least spend more than 5 min into the details.

It's a defense map. It's not meant to be pretty. The focus isn't aesthetics but in raw challenge.

Steam

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's comic Sans, I just let paint use the default setting for that.

And yeah I'm aware it's ugly, but as FurryQueen pointed out, a survival/challenge map focuses on survival game-play not pretty atmosphere.

This map is basic but can be fun, if you like tough cheating AI give it a go.

I think I might do a video for it later.

Here I thought people would criticize my requirement of ARES rather then it's art quality.

Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about the map requires Ares? If I may ask.

Steam

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Map corrects ATESLA to use new Ares prism logic, Robt tanks used by ai don't require power, but human ones use new powered unit logic.

Every random 250 to 1000 game seconds, AI are given additional Selfheal on all units as well as new Ares Apache air strike, jamming planes Sw's, and paradrop SW's. Map also usses NOSTR: for timer. Humans are also given a Instant repair SW which costs $400 to use and recharges after a few minutes.

The game could probably play without ARES but none of the ARES SW's provided to the AI players will function, nor will the correcting logic.

As a side note AItriggertypes are used to enhance AI, tho its mostly increased wave sizes and new spy logic for all sides. Further Soylent values were all reduced.

Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Focus on gameplay is no excuse to disregard aesthetics. Just look at TI's challenge missions, while they are visually nothing spectacular, they are composed of more than just rocks and resources. While there's no need to put hours in making the map look good, a map that's both visually pleasing and functional leaves the players an impression of professionalism.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of the rectangles of rocks is missing a row on the inside.
If it's going to be aesthetically barren, at least be consistent! #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

It's a defense map. It's not meant to be pretty. The focus isn't aesthetics but in raw challenge.

If i see such a map, i wouldn't waste my time finding out if there are some uber nice ini changes done to it or not. I would delete it straight away.

Bad preview->gives impression of inexperienced mapper->doesn't makes you believe the rest will be better->map is scrapped

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Focus on gameplay is no excuse to disregard aesthetics. Just look at TI's challenge missions, while they are visually nothing spectacular, they are composed of more than just rocks and resources. While there's no need to put hours in making the map look good, a map that's both visually pleasing and functional leaves the players an impression of professionalism.

Can't say it any better myself.

Without aesthetics the map is just going to get boring extremely quickly, and mind you we're trying to help, a challenge map can still be challenging without it having to be completely symmetrical. Symmetry is the bane of map makers.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do get your concept of variety in gameplay rather than creating a nice map. AFAIK there was a fast build fast money map for RA2 which looked similar to this, but it was nice because you had nowhere to shelter from your enemy.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Last edited by RP on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since when is there an enforced quality standard? If he likes to have maps made for plain gameplay so be it. Ofc one isn't supposed to compare the look of such maps with one from TI.
I enjoy playing on such maps every now and then. There is a certain beauty to be found in simpleness. Besides that if you just want to duke it out with some gameplay only possible by such a map (bay of pigs for example) there's nothing bad about it.
Used to create dozens of such maps in Age of empires, ofc I wouldn't go around asking for how pretty it is.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OrangeNero wrote:
Since when is there an enforced quality standard?
Enforced is nothing. Else such topics would be deleted.
We simply gave feedback (negative in this case) and advised to not create that simple maps, as the majority doesn't likes them.

Public SHPs

Tools

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any Feedback is good feedback, even though most of what I received is negative I do see positives. I'm going Redo/Edit this map since it was rushed and I just felt like sharing something I did for a friend who wanted to play something more challenging.

That being said, I think feedback on what you would like to see aesthetically in the map might be helpful, like more hills, or different terrain or smudges etc? My maps have always been ini changes or survival based trigger settings, so I've never put in as much time for art on them.

OrangeNero your right basic is ugly but does thing that sometimes beautiful maps can't So I will try and strive for both.

I plan to try and remove the necessity for Ares to play the map by being less lazy, and making proper trigger sw's instead "Also is seems unlike in original game new Ares SW's are not parsed," "I didn't realize it because i Ripped the Sw's from my mod so I didn't realize they didn't work," and also try and spruce up the art a bit, look forward to it, and thanks for the criticism, it made me realize I rushed this map release.

Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright I did some art updates, made some ini and trigger changes to map and hope for some play feedback. Though positive and negative art feedback is welcome.

Map spots are Still Human 1-4 and AI are spots 5 through 8.
Ares is not required and will play on original Yuri game or expansion mods as long as they don't alter original sides too much.

For solo play I suggest you take on 1 Brutal, but feel free to try with more or AI allies against multiple AI's. Online should be fun to with a good old comp stomping, just don't get squished.

Enjoy.

Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why use rocks when you can use cliffs?

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh that was mostly nostalgia for an old map I played recently so I decided around using them as barriers, + the rocks are lower to ground and don't impede jump-jets like cliffs. Also cliffs would require a lot of time and would provide a place for clever humans to hide from the AI.

Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because if you add cliff, a simple single cliff, the map file memory size gets bigger all of sudden, that makes it hard to transfer to other players online. The only solution to make the transfer fast and simple is to remove ISOPACK5 (or what it is) because it takes up alot of the memory. If it is removed, everything becomes flat. So, it is not worth having cliff if the creator wants to keep everything simple and fun.

EricAnimeFreak wrote:
Ahh that was mostly nostalgia for an old map I played recently so I decided around using them as barriers, + the rocks are lower to ground and don't impede jump-jets like cliffs. Also cliffs would require a lot of time and would provide a place for clever humans to hide from the AI.

Not really. AI will still find you anyway.

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I ended up taking another whack at this map to try and polish it up, double checking triggers, increasing difficulty slightly, changing the victory conditions slightly, adding cliffs ETC. This should be the last time I touch it for PPM, unless someone requests it.

Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking many  months ago. "Wow I really did screw up that cliffs position, and some minor code in the map, man I should really fix those..."

And months passed...

Well I finally got bored enough, and pulled this out. I finally fixed it today, what I had meant to fix nearly right after I posted months ago. Not that anyone noticed or said anything about the errors after my last post, though here's an update anyways.
See above for changes.

Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

zlixine
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NOT GOOD BUT IT CAN BE IN MOD MAYBE

=======================
MOD LEADER OF CHITTERZOKI MOD

EricAnimeFreak
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I mean no disrespect, but while I am all for constructive criticism. I failed to see where you pointed out what was not good. Perhaps it was somewhere in that fully capitalized sentence, without a period, but I didn't see it. "Maybe you accidentally posted before finishing your sentence/paragraph?"

Was it the art you disliked? Was it the play? What exactly was it that made you think it was not good?

Yes mods might have more to add, but that's like saying TOE is better in a mod. So why would this map be better in a mod? I'm curious to know why you feel this way?

Although I find the map more enjoyable when I play it with my mod, so I guess I could see your logic?

Anyways I'm curious, when you tried it, how did you fair versus the computer? Did you play co op, or maybe 1 versus 1?

Please respond back to me seriously, as to not make me question your jokes again, thank you.

Additional new features.

Enjoy Everyone!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zlixine, look in your private message box

And stop writing in caps!

Public SHPs

Tools

zlixine
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i did not try it i don't try anything because when i was trying voxel before but computer has explode from virus i know ed this from the computer repair from the hard disk your map is so same when we cut it 4 pieces it the four pieces is same this is an example

=======================

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggest another split by a global mod and move of the last 6 posts into crap forum.

Public SHPs

Tools

zlixine
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i am from egypt i talk arabic not english

=======================

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon