Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 pm
All times are UTC + 0
RA2 Pal format?
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject:  RA2 Pal format? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can someone explain the RA2 pal format?
There is a small explanation at YRARG but it is not giving enough information.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is not much to explain on it. Really.

RA2 pals are composed of 16 bit colors and saved as one byte R, one byte G and one byte B ending up as 256*3=768 bytes. No header no other junk, just pure data.

So if you wanna read a RA2 PAL just read 3 bytes separately, multiply that values by 4 one after one and use the results as RGB color and vice versa to export.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would this method export to a correct formatted ra2 palette?
Code:
   public static void toRA2Palette (File destFile, Color[] colors) throws IOException
   {
      if (destFile.isDirectory())
         throw new IllegalArgumentException("Arg must point to a file");
      if (colors.length > 256)
         throw new IllegalArgumentException("To many colors");

BufferedOutputStream out = new BufferedOutputStream (new FileOutputStream(destFile));

for (int i = 0; i < colors.length; i++)
      {
         out.write(colors[i].getRed()   / 4);
         out.write(colors[i].getGreen() / 4);
         out.write(colors[i].getBlue()  / 4);
      }

//If the array have less than 256 elements, handle it here:
      //... (implement this later)

out.close();      
   }

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

RA2 pals are composed of 16 bit colors and saved as one byte R, one byte G and one byte B ending up as 256*3=768 bytes. No header no other junk, just pure data.

A small correction. The color system used is not 16-bit. It's not even 8-bit, despite there being one byte per each of the R,G,B values. Only valid values for the colors are in the range 0-63 (0-3F in hex), meaning that it's actually 6-bit color. Why in the hell WW opted for such system, instead of utilizing the entire 8-bit RGB spectrum, is beyond me though.

Rest is correct.

¥R_M0dd€r wrote:
Would this method export to a correct formatted ra2 palette?

I would say yes. Dividing the 8-bit RGB color values by 4 is a quick & efficient way to convert 8-bit RGB color values into 6-bit ones. Leads to slight loss of precision in some cases, naturally. I did it the same way for few tools I've done for my own use and I think so did OS Palette Editor too.

Last edited by Starkku on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simple. 16 bit colors are actually composed as 5 bit R, 6 bit G and 5 bit B. Back at '97-'98, when GPU memory wasn't as huge as nowadays, having 16 bit or 32 bit displays mattered at performance. Consideing that even YR has graphics code evolved from TD... I don't see that much of a wackyness in it.

The wackyness comes from the sole fact that why the heck they use 6 bits on the R and B channel, then, since that needs some rounding in the end. Maybe the renderer rounds it, I dunno that. Having the render correcting a 18 bit screen to 16 bit sounds stupid, but since it's WW, it's plausible.

The 0-255 range is on 24 bit (32 is RGBA with alpha having as fourth), of course on lessen ones, that does not exist. Some 8 bit setups actually used 3 bit R 3 bit G and 2 bit B.... imagine those color ranges, then.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Simple. 16 bit colors are actually composed as 5 bit R, 6 bit G and 5 bit B. Back at '97-'98, when GPU memory wasn't as huge as nowadays, having 16 bit or 32 bit displays mattered at performance. Consideing that even YR has graphics code evolved from TD... I don't see that much of a wackyness in it.

Oh yeah, that's what you meant with 16-bit. Well yeah I was aware of the fact that TS/RA2/YR, and I suppose the older games as well had 16-bit graphics display, but it just didn't occur to me that it could be due to that, since as you've put it, it'd have made more sense if the palettes were also in the 6,5,6 RGB scheme. But yeah this is Westwood, normal logic does not need to apply.

Oh and just to clarify if it was unclear, by saying that C&C palette colors are 6-bit, I was referring to how the individual red, green & blue colors only use 6-bit range. I suppose saying that it's 18-bit RGB would've made more sense in a retrospect.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku wrote:
The color system used is not 16-bit. It's not even 8-bit, despite there being one byte per each of the R,G,B values. Only valid values for the colors are in the range 0-63 (0-3F in hex), meaning that it's actually 6-bit color. Why in the hell WW opted for such system, instead of utilizing the entire 8-bit RGB spectrum, is beyond me though.

There was some research back in the stone age that concluded that humans were able to distinguish 64 tons of red, green and blue.

I don't know how this research dealt with colours that mixed these channels.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally tested my method. It didn't work. OS Palette Editor says "Read beyond end of file".
I assume the file is to big?
Code:
Code:
   public void toRA2Palette () throws IOException
   {
      //Instead of throwing an exception, the color out of range will not be encoded.
//      if (paletteColors.size() > 256)
//         throw new IllegalStateException("To many colors");

String temp = outDestination.getAbsolutePath();
      String path = (temp.endsWith("" + File.separatorChar)) ? temp + "customPalette.pal" : temp + File.separatorChar + "customPalette.pal";

BufferedOutputStream out = new BufferedOutputStream (new FileOutputStream(new File (path)));
      ArrayList<Integer> colorList = new ArrayList<>(paletteColors);//paletteColors is a hash set of colors.

for (int i = 0; i < 255; i++)
      {
         try
         {
            Color color = new Color(colorList.get(i));

out.write(color.getRed()   / 4);
            out.write(color.getGreen() / 4);
            out.write(color.getBlue()  / 4);
         }
         catch (IndexOutOfBoundsException e)
         {
            out.write(0);//Write black color if the hash set did not have enough colors.
         }
      }
      out.close();      
   }

The broken pal file:

customPalette.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  customPalette.rar
 Filesize:  233 Bytes
 Downloaded:  181 Time(s)

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The colours you are writting.... are they int or short?

Because each value for each colour channel in the .pal format uses only 1 byte.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I saw that the pal was a lot smaller than the working ones.
I found the problem, I should have added out.write(0) two more times in the catch block.

Olaf van der Spek
Medic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starkku wrote:

A small correction. The color system used is not 16-bit. It's not even 8-bit, despite there being one byte per each of the R,G,B values. Only valid values for the colors are in the range 0-63 (0-3F in hex), meaning that it's actually 6-bit color. Why in the hell WW opted for such system, instead of utilizing the entire 8-bit RGB spectrum, is beyond me though.

VGA DACs were 6 bits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array#The_VGA_color_palette

DOS TD and RA used VGA...
TS and RA2 used 16 bit display modes, so more than 6 bits didn't make sense.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&C95 and RA95 are also just 8-bit colour, just like their DOS versions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum