Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm
All times are UTC + 0
IGN's first details on Generals 2
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject:  IGN's first details on Generals 2
Subject description: They've inteviewed Ray Muzyka and Jon Van Cane... arrrgh!!!! I can't spell his name!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bioware's marketing department has lost their weekend and they've been working hard to feed us with Generals 2 information 24 hours a day. Anyway, I've just heard there is an interview from IGN with Jon Van Caneghem (Generals 2 Executive Producer) and Dr. Ray Muzyka (Bioware's co-founder). Here's a snippet:

Quote:
IGN: What's the story setup for Generals 2, and does it tie into the first one at all?

Jon Van Caneghem: Generals 2 takes place ten years after the events in Generals. At the beginning the world is actually at peace. There's a huge conference where a landmark peace treaty is about to be signed. But moments before that happens, a terrorist attack takes away all of the leaders in attendance. The only leaders who are left are the generals and that's where you come in. We have three factions in the game, the GLA, the EU and one more we aren't revealing – yet!

Most of the interview is useless bla bla bla. The snippet above, at least confirms that EU faction. It's funny that they want to bring C&C to its roots, so... what do they do? Let's bring a new Generals... the game that many fans spent many years saying that it was not a Command & Conquer game because it didn't follow the traditional C&C mechanics. The funny thing is that resource collecting and base building is already 'getting back to the roots'.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But didn't EU get terribly decimated by GLA and then overrun by China? And US are the only ones who were left more or less untouched (or were they also nuked by GLA?).

Quote:
The original game is actually the best-selling game in the series and its one our community has been asking for.

Hahaha, what?

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

God ztyping damn it.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

terrorists bomb world leaders. Everyone declares war on each other!

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Honestly, I feel as if every college english major that couldn't find a respectable job works for EA. How long did that story take to flesh out? Ten minutes and a box of donuts? I bet the designed everything first, THEN made the story to go with it. Also, the units look ztyping stupid. /rant

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Game's not even a day old and we have people complaining. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

Steam

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
Game's not even a day old and we have people complaining. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

They're fans. That's their entire point.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, because whining always gets things done and never makes anyone look like spoiled rotten brats.

Steam

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There may not be mod tools on this new engine too and EA plans of DLCs may further go against such support and formats wise, its all to figure them out and worse yet, it may be entirely online bound like C&C4, not too excited as a modder but atleast EA is taking their time this time around and we got rid of SAGE crap.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gufu wrote:

Quote:
The original game is actually the best-selling game in the series and its one our community has been asking for.

Hahaha, what?

Well, if you've ever crossed to the official C&C forums, you'd immediately notice how many people bragged for Generals 2. Now they're getting it. The community has spoken.

Quote:
But didn't EU get terribly decimated by GLA and then overrun by China? And US are the only ones who were left more or less untouched (or were they also nuked by GLA?).

Well, Europe got "liberated" from GLA presence by China in ZH. My thoughts are China only helped Europe get back on its feet. The US on the other hand completely abandoned their military actions abroad, and returned to defend their homeland. All in all, the third "secret" faction should definitely be China or somekind of offspring.

Quote:
Honestly, I feel as if every college english major that couldn't find a respectable job works for EA. How long did that story take to flesh out? Ten minutes and a box of donuts? I bet the designed everything first, THEN made the story to go with it. Also, the units look ztyping stupid. /rant

Dude, they only summed up the story in a few lines. If Muzyka is to be trusted, it will be as complex and entertaining as BioWare's previous titles' stories. See what happens when I sum up the oh-so-mystic Tiberian Sun:

In an apocalyptic near future, green and blue crystals have poisoned most of the Earth. Only one peace-keeping force stands against global terrorists and their immortal leader. Will you embrace the toxic crystals, thinking that they will grant you divine powers, or will you blast them with giant walkers?

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wouldn't complain if they took more than half a day of prepreduction. Honestly, this is why games that have great potential turn into utter shit. Did you read the story behind this game? How long did that take to come up with? I my dislike for this game stems from how ill-thought out it looks and how much it looks like a graphics whore trap. (Never mind the dumb ztyping story, look at those graphics! FAP FAP FAP.) The story is ztyping retarded. The units are meh and I have yet to be impressed. Do I want to like this game? Maybe. Are they making it easy for me? Hell ztyping no.

A gathering of leaders in one place getting hit by a missile and then turning into a free for all is A: unoriginal, B: unlikely, C: Even if it happened, most countries have a continuity of government to prevent such a disaster, or D: All of the above.

Shit story for the loss.

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EU...

But no more America.

My guess is that the EU is actually a NATOesque faction, or the faction that hasn't been revealed yet will be some kind of corporate PMC operating out of America. I don't know.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They got 2 years to clean it up. Chillax brosef.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

China and Europe formed a Union in Zero Hour. EURASIAN UNION. Jesus Christ, if we paid attention to the story rather than pretendng it didn't exist, we'd know this.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hope the third faction is China, with at least one of the following: Overlords, Nuke Cannons, or Helixes #Tongue

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Volgin wrote:
if we paid attention to the story rather than pretendng it didn't exist

The story? Pretending? You're saying that generals actually had a story...?
...?
...?
...?
Oh wait, now I got it. That was good one! Laughing

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generals' story is surprisingly realistic. The game was made in 2003, yet it featured many aspects of the modern world (global terrorist threat, China becoming a superpower, etc.)

If you really wonder why they never revealed what the "cause" that the GLA so fondly spoke of was, you should know what would have happened if they shouted "For Allah!"...

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like some of the ideas behind their DLC plans. Factions? New units? It'll be mini-expansions which are more likely to make money as well as work better with those who don't have the content on multiplayer.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&C1's story was equally dull. Evil bald guy, green shit that's revealed as toxic as a late-game twist (after your guys have ran through it and died at least 80 times) suddenly HARVESTS ALL THE PRECIOUS MINERALS FROM THE SOIL.

What was Kane's goal in TD? Kill GDI? Build a gaudy temple in the desert? Come on.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to see India as a faction. Why does China get all the publicity for being a superpower when India is just as good at it?

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&C 1 also came out during the dark age of gaming. Most games at that time didn't have a story at all. Progress demands we improve, not remain static. It's 2011, a year of epic stories and amazing gameplay. What is Generals 2 bringing to the table?

A comparison. CnC 95 got positive reviews for its time. Its story was indeed mediocre by comparison to games of today. If CnC 95 was released now, even with amazing graphics probably wouldn't perform as well as it did then. The industry is supposed to evolve, not regurgitate and resell.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulus wrote:
C&C 1 also came out during the dark age of gaming. Most games at that time didn't have a story at all. Progress demands we improve, not remain static. It's 2011, a year of epic stories and amazing gameplay. What is Generals 2 bringing to the table?

A comparison. CnC 95 got positive reviews for its time. Its story was indeed mediocre by comparison to games of today. If CnC 95 was released now, even with amazing graphics probably wouldn't perform as well as it did then. The industry is supposed to evolve, not regurgitate and resell.

This.
THIS. THIS. GODDAMMIT THIS!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulus wrote:
C&C 1 also came out during the dark age of gaming. Most games at that time didn't have a story at all. Progress demands we improve, not remain static.

1995 was not a dark age of gaming. I have no idea what you're talking about, but that was around the height of great games of the 90s. Games with stories, solid gameplay and musical scores to back it up. Clearly, you didn't play anything amazing from that era, but I did and games today don't have shit on games from that era.

Quote:
It's 2011, a year of epic stories and amazing gameplay. What is Generals 2 bringing to the table?

Epic stories? Amazing gameplay? Not on your life, bub. The stories are told in a grand fashion so they appear "epic." And the gameplay is a decade old already. Neither of those things are bad in any way shape or form because why reinvent the wheel? Generals 2 doesn't need to bring anything new to the table. There's nothing it can really bring that either hasn't been done already or is just stupidly bad. If Generals 2 brings together the gameplay that made its predecessor so damn much fun to play and brings a story that's weaved nicely with GOOD characters... it'll be a solid title all the way around.

Quote:

Even back then, the story wasn't even that good. Especially when put against the juggernauts that came out along with it. The one thing Tiberian Dawn did well was put you in a frame of mind to play the game so the experience was done quite well. The characters made the game, not the story because... the story was pretty lame honestly.

Steam

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far I am failing to see a good story, but what ever lets you sleep at night.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the tiberian universe more than the game story itself, if you get what I mean

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that is an important point to make as well. CnC1's story might not be epic, but what is implied is very strong and has great implications. Same with Red Alert. That's why fanboys threw a shit fit when they changed tiberium's design. It goes deeper than looks.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulus wrote:
So far I am failing to see a good story, but what ever lets you sleep at night.

You got a quick summary and you're basing it all on that. Let's wait for some details before judging that aspect. Besides, the story was Generals' weakest aspect for sure, but it sure was fun to romp through. Generals 2 needs more character-driven action, which is what made the original C&C so captivating (less so now because you ztyping whiners made it suck). Like I said before, the story can be mediocre-ish if the story telling elements themselves are put together nicely. Presentation and story development are key here.

In any case, you're judging the whole ztyping thing on a sentence or two.

Quote:
I think that is an important point to make as well. CnC1's story might not be epic, but what is implied is very strong and has great implications. Same with Red Alert. That's why fanboys threw a shit fit when they changed tiberium's design. It goes deeper than looks.

Problem with Tib Dawn is that it had no real foundation to fall back on. The Tiberium 'universe' had a harder time developing a coherent backing for its story, which only carried it so far (through Tiberian Dawn if you're wondering). Tiberian Sun was really stale, but again, the driving force behind Tiberian Sun is the characters themselves, which was its only decent selling point; everything else was bland.

Red Alert didn't have the same problem. It had a really good starting point (all tenuous and non-existent connections to Tiberium aside) and the characters, and their portrayals, only served to deepen the game. Even Red Alert 2 and 3 with all their campy, goofy bullshit managed to pull off their stories better than their Tiberium counterparts. There was a foundation from Red Alert that carried the next two installments. Hate them all you want, but there's no denying it: Red Alert had a solid foundation and Tiberium stuff... really didn't.

Steam

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, from what I have gathered from the summary, a meeting of all the world leaders in one place being bombed by a missile and then the Generals of the world's armies going out into some kind of free-for-all seems implausable at best. Granted Tiberium isn't plausible, and neither is time travel, but that's kind of like saying 90% of Star Wars isn't plausible. You know it isn't, you accept it and move on, cause it's not part of "the story." World leaders gathering in one place is simply bad fiction writing.

I agree, Generals had an awful story, and it is a game clearly based off current events. It won't stand the test of time.

I honestly think that having no story associated with Generals would be better than having a story written by an individual with a creative composition degree from a mail order college.

They have two years to fix it, but so far I am certainly not impressed.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Who gives a shit about plausibility? That's like saying Chrono Trigger has a bad story because it's not possible. Plausibility does not make for a better story. So long as the premise is okay, which Generals 2 actually has and the story telling is done RIGHT, the story aspect itself is handled. I don't see an issue right now because the game itself can tell the story better than a summation ever will. So long as it's fun to plow through the story, does it matter that much?

Steam

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1995 is the dark age of gaming? What the ztype?

Lets look at 1994 and 1993:

DooM II, Mortal Kombat 2, Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Myst,Link's Awakening, Sim City 2000, Super Mario All Stars, PlayStation 1 (1994, Japan specifically)

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulus wrote:
C&C 1 also came out during the dark age of gaming. Most games at that time didn't have a story at all.

Dark age of "storytelling in videogames"
because the presence of DOOM since 1993 utterly negates the statement otherwise.

and what Volgin said. DKC and Super Mario All Stars. Quake, Kirby Super Star, Super Mario RPG in development, also

that's a ztyping golden age my friend

lefthand
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well...it can't be as bad as CNC4, right?

And the story cannot be as bad as RA3's.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lefthand wrote:
Well...it can't be as bad as CNC4, right?

And the story cannot be as bad as RA3's.
I'm with lefthand on this. We'll just have to wait and see.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I agree, Generals had an awful story, and it is a game clearly based off current events. It won't stand the test of time.

I really don't wanna get involved in this debate (I don't have the time or the care) but I think this statement really doesn't work well at all Regulus. World War games wouldn't work, Vietnam/Korea/Gulf War games would be worthless, and the multimillion dollar Modern Warfare/Battlefield/Medal of Honor/etc. series of games would have all flopped.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 'test of time'. Does anyone now play the games about WW2 made during or directly after WW2? No! #Tongue

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
The 'test of time'. Does anyone now play the games about WW2 made during or directly after WW2? No! #Tongue

Because they didn't exit due to the lack of sufficient technological and societal development overall for the times? I am rather sure there were already some sort of board/tabletop games if you want to go there, and sure as hell plenty of movies/cartoons/comics/whatever were released.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you high? Geopolitical dick waving is an excellent and highly popular game. Look at CNN once in a while. Granted, everybody playing these past few years is a fuckin noob.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!