Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Buildup Creator 2.1
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [54 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject:  Buildup Creator 2.1
Subject description: For TS and RA2
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: Version 2.1 released

Features:
- creates a buildup of a PNG file
- save each frame of the buildup with name ordering(frame one becomes IMAGE 0000, frame two IMAGE 0001 etc).
- custom styles
- customizable smoothness of the buildup.

2.1 changes:
- New style called "Line up plus down reverse"(DaRTzO's suggestion).
- Customizable line thickness.
- Garion's request.
- Other enhancements.

Known bugs:
If color 0,0 is not the background color(the first pixel at north-west), there will be problems.

You must install a Java Virtual Machine or this program wont work(version 7).

thegui.png
 Description:
The gui
 Filesize:  284.93 KB
 Viewed:  15730 Time(s)

thegui.png

Buildup Creator 2.1 Source (Eclipse Project).rar
 Description:
Source code for 2.1
You may edit this in any way you want.
Contains instructions on how to edit this project in Eclipse.

Download
 Filename:  Buildup Creator 2.1 Source (Eclipse Project).rar
 Filesize:  439.32 KB
 Downloaded:  293 Time(s)

Buildup Creator 2.1.rar
 Description:
The program

Download
 Filename:  Buildup Creator 2.1.rar
 Filesize:  266.86 KB
 Downloaded:  379 Time(s)

Last edited by ¥R_M0dd€r on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:05 am; edited 8 times in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is, hands down, the worst way ever to make a buildup. You need to have a 3D model of the building and animate a proper build-up for it (well if you're patient enough you can paint it in SHP Builder, I guess). There's no better alternative.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What if you dont have the 3D model? What if your are trying to convert from 2D games such as Star Wars?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even no build up is better than one that consist of frames of a static building rising from an invisible, magic line.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, I disagree

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Explain. This method doesn't even make sense in the pseudo-isometric perspective of TS/RA2.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tool is bad and you should feel bad. </zoidberg>

Steam

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it's not bad it's like cnc Generals buildup....., any ways good work yuri modder Smile, but if you have the time try working on it....

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You would need some way of detecting the depth of the object and fitting it to the dimetric surface, which I don't think is simple without the original 3D model.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make it a bright flash of light, then the building appears.

Gotta love Asgard beaming technology!

oh wait, wrong universe...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Much better would have been already, if not the building moves upwards, but the invisible line, and the building is revealed below the invisible barrier. This way it gives at least the impression that the building is slowly build up from the ground.

In addition you could change the whole building into greyscale during the upward movement of the invisible line, and use the last 5 frames to slowly fade from the greyscale building into the colored one.

Another improvement would be, to use not only one invisible barrier, but several ones with the middle being the fastest.
Then let each barrier move in a random big step upwards (1 frame 5 pixel, other frame 12 pixel etc), so it gives the impression the building is build in small blocky parts, which could resemble some metal plates.
With the middle one being the fastest, it would also give the impression the building is build from the center.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

daTS wrote:
Make it a bright flash of light, then the building appears.

Gotta love Asgard beaming technology!

oh wait, wrong universe...

Stargate is awesome! Very Happy

Ok now what is this thread about again?

Oh cool. Saves time for basic buildups.

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think a greyscale image of the building being placed instantaneously and then have a bright line that follows the shape of the building moving up like a scanline following a hologram and after the scanline has moved over the the fully colored building is shown.... I guess a simple image might be more clear.

The line could start moving slowly and accelerate towards the end it could also be of more than one color, but I just did it that way to be fast.

Fast Buildup Test.gif
 Description:
Green because nothing says high tech better than green... well maybe cyan does...
 Filesize:  10.76 KB
 Viewed:  17125 Time(s)

Fast Buildup Test.gif

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks kinda simple, i would say, but its interesting, with what machine suggested i think it would be even greater. =D

Anyways, could you send me the source code? I'm learning java and i interested in how you did it. =P

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for feedback. I will do something like Machine suggested for v2, but a better variant Smile

Source uploaded, you may want to look at RA2Buildup.java, the other files are GUI stuff.
Btw my source code have no comments yet, so you may not get anything at all.

Buildup Creator 1.0 Source.rar
 Description:
Source code for Buildup Creator 1.0

Download
 Filename:  Buildup Creator 1.0 Source.rar
 Filesize:  4.59 KB
 Downloaded:  310 Time(s)

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, yeah i can't get everything, but it's really interesting, i'm having problems finding some good examples and even tutorials in the web, soo this will come in handy, thanks a lot YRmodder. Very Happy

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

updated the program, now it can create builds ups like those showed in my attachments below.
What do you think?
Useful?
Other ideas of buildup styles?

Style b.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.1 KB
 Viewed:  16969 Time(s)

Style b.gif

Style a.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.99 KB
 Viewed:  16969 Time(s)

Style a.gif

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On a scale from one to awesome I give it a meh. I suppose this is useful for fast work, but it is far more professional and looks better over all if you handmake a buildup. However, I do understand that C+Ps aren't able to have the luxury of having a model to edit and manipulate.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, seriously. That's awful. I've made tons of buildups by hand, without ever using a model. All I had for making these was the final building:

Sure, most of these were for lower-res C&C1 and RA, but that doesn't mean the same method can't be used. It's just a matter of careful copy-pasting to build it up. It's really not that hard.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO it's not bad at all. Useful for a quick build up.
Atleast he's making a program that can be productive. And maybe even keep on making improvements on it. Never know, it could turn out to be something really awsome.

Nice job so far YR Modder

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nyerguds wrote:
Sure, most of these were for lower-res C&C1 and RA, but that doesn't mean the same method can't be used. It's just a matter of careful copy-pasting to build it up. It's really not that hard.

The careful copy-pasting is not something trivial for the computer. The program would need to segmentate the building into criterias that I don't know how to describe. It would also need the information of height from the pieces obtained by the segmentation process. Then, it would need to define which parts would show up in which order... and how to interpolate these pieces to make them grow out of nowhere.

I have not done it in OS SHP Builder, because I don't know how to do it.

Of course that the method he uses is rudimentary, but it's better than nothing.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not ideal and doesn't look great

but I guess its better than no build up at all.

@¥R_M0dd€r
How about a build up animation which is simply a 'fade in' of the building.
This was done on the Playstation 1 versions of C&C and Red Alert (i'm guessing due to hardware limitations of the console)

It would be a nice option and actually in keeping with official style.

You can see the effect I am talking about in this clip when the player sells the building
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4kTB2jv5wEg#t=165s

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually thinking about it, i doubt that kind of translucency effect is possible with buildups Sad

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

better?
I think preview2.gif is ok.

preview4.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.76 KB
 Viewed:  16575 Time(s)

preview4.gif

preview3.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.95 KB

preview3.gif

preview2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.65 KB

preview2.gif

preview1.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.43 KB

preview1.gif

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, preview2 looks the best one, all others looks like kinda unrealistic, maybe they would be good use for specific sides,etc.

Great job YR_Modder. =P

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like both preview2 and preview3 tbh.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like 3 the best

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the idea of this program. Obviously it can't compare with hand-done buildups, but this will be great for rookies, or for making quick mockups. The preview2 ain't too shabby

how about a grid-like thing and then a flash of light, as a buildup?

Could you look into making something like an auto-shadow maker as well?

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. preview 2 and 3 are made from the same class. you can change the settings so it looks little different(see attached image).

As Team Black kinda said. I never meant to replace the "real" buildups. This is like fast food, you get something fast, but the quality isn't the best.

Could you reexplain your suggestion? Didn't really understood.

As for auto shadow, I dont think it would be a good idea. Banshee tried for SHP builder, but he removed the feature for a good reason.
However, you could make an action in photoshop, which creates shadow for a layer(you export a gif image to layers).

preview5.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.78 KB
 Viewed:  16389 Time(s)

preview5.gif

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you could make it like preview5.gif but have the colour fade in at the end instead of appearing through a green line that scrolls down, it would be pretty close the the PSX versions of TD/RA

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
If you could make it like preview5.gif but have the colour fade in at the end instead of appearing through a green line that scrolls down, it would be pretty close the the PSX versions of TD/RA

like this?

previewX.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.56 KB
 Viewed:  16241 Time(s)

previewX.gif

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My power core Razz

yeah, that looks good.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not a big deal, but updated first post with version 2.0.
Still open to new ideas.
Source code have comments and it should be easy for anyone to add their own styles to the program.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YRM, weren't you uploaded a 64bit executable by default? Because I can't open it, the file isn't damaged (since it can be unzipped) and I do have latest Java runtime.

I acknowledge, I'm on 32 bit.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Call me an idiot. It's not a 32bit-64bit issue.

The latest official stable Java is still version 6, BUT Oracle already offer Java 7 on it's site (not java.com but oracle.com) and this project also used Java 7.

Got Java7 and everything is alright.

EDIT: Where it saves the buildup?

=======================

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay. I used a 64bit compilator. But it is nice that it works for you. The images are saved in the same folder as the jar file. You may want to unzip it from the rar.
Some computers(I have just encounter one) do not allow java to save files into C:\ drive, so you may want to put it in D:\.

I made a mistake, I should have used java 6. Now, people have to download the JDK, about 80mb:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u2-download-1377129.html
But see it on the bright side, Java7 is faster Wink

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JRE 7 is enough.

But still, I can't find where this saves the frames. Confused

=======================

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you still have this problem?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait.... no.

God knows what happened, but now it saves those frames. Maybe it needs a system restart after Java 7.

EDIT: What were the settings of preview3, it looks like a mix of 2 and 6...

=======================

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Make the bottom preview1 in reverse so the 2 beams come from the middle and go to top and bottom. That would look like a protoss warp in build up then. Smile

Also let modders customize the line anim with their own image?

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO: 2.1 Smile
Garion: Can you describe exactly what you are looking for. preview3didnt look good imo, so I didnt include it. But I could make a mix of preview5and previewX. But if you really want preview3, I could include it.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yet preview3 is what I exactly ask, because that looks pretty cybernetic-alike and so alien from YR.... considering my artist steps into YR it's the exact thing I need to add in.

And if I'd learnt Java I'd figure it ouut on my own, but unfortunately I haven't learnt it.

=======================

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Java is very similar to C++. You should be able to learn it very quick.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Correct. Java is an easier version of C++(but that does not necessarily mean it is weaker than it).
But he would have to study the source code of my program.
I will start working on his request now(just finished DaRTzO's first request request).

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I have tried figuring out Java code sometimes to aid out a fellow student, but the compiler threw errors on every little thing I wrote so I went haywire.

It really looks similar to C++, but the headers, the includes and that level is messed up from my POV.... I always say that Java born when two drunk C++ programmers thought they should think up something new.

=======================

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mine wasn't really a request, just a suggestion. Of what seemed most logical way to make it look.

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uploaded version 2.1 Next version will be 3.0, or this is the final version. If I don't come up with some cool styles, I wont do an other version.

Ivosh
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it, I see no problem to use it in sci-fi mod. Better than nothing.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool ways? Star Trek Voyager Federation transporter style. #Tongue

And thanks.

=======================

XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

¥R_M0dd€r wrote:
Thanks. preview 2 and 3 are made from the same class. you can change the settings so it looks little different(see attached image).

As Team Black kinda said. I never meant to replace the "real" buildups. This is like fast food, you get something fast, but the quality isn't the best.

Could you reexplain your suggestion? Didn't really understood.

As for auto shadow, I dont think it would be a good idea. Banshee tried for SHP builder, but he removed the feature for a good reason.
However, you could make an action in photoshop, which creates shadow for a layer(you export a gif image to layers).
I like this a lot. Why don't you make the building's colour fade in just like the building itself does?

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum