Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm
All times are UTC + 0
[Ares] New Countries tutorial
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject:  [Ares] New Countries tutorial Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, since this seems to be something that blows other people's minds, I'm going to be writing simple yet effective tutorials for adding new countries using the new Ares DLL injector. (No, it's not a patch.)

There are a few things worth noting from the beginning. All of this should be in the documentation.

- You can have up to 32 new countries, 16 of which can have taunts. I don't see this being an issue.
- You can reorder the country list. The old 9 countries have special Ares handling that tells the game to still use their old loading screen, flag, and strings.
- You can have 16 new sides, don't ask me why you need 16 though. Wink
- You can add your new countries and sides either before or after the GDI,Nod,Special,Neutral sides. It has no special effect contrary to what I thought.

Countries
In order to add a new country, the VERY FIRST step will be adding it to the [Countries] list. I assume you don't need me to tell you how to make a number, equals sign, and the name of your country. For the tutorial, we're going to add New Zealand to the Allies, with an ID of [Zealand]

Your country entry will need to look something very similar to what's posted below. I'll be commenting each tag from Ares so you can draw what the new brings together with the old.

[Zealand] ;this is our new country
UIName=Name:Zealand ;the name string
Name=New Zealand ;this is used in FinalAlert 2 and WW editors
Suffix=Allied ;this is present on all Allied sides
Prefix=G ;as this is too.
Color=Gold ;this could be changed if you haet this color, but is for singleplayer purposes
Multiplay=yes ;need this in order to get the country to appear in the dropdown box.
Side=GDI ;this is the side that the countries belongs to. GDI=Allies
SmartAI=yes ;this is for the AI to use SmartAI. I've never experimented with the tag but ModEnc would probably tell you all you need to know.
;new Ares stuff
File.Flag=zealflag.pcx ;this is your flag. 8-bit PCX still.
File.LoadScreen=ls%szeal.shp ;this is your loading screen, it needs the %s to tell it size. This will be changed in future versions.
File.LoadScreenPAL=lszeal.pal ;this is your loading screen palette.
File.Taunt=tauam%02i.wav ;the taunts. the %02i tells it to read the 8 taunt files.
LoadScreenText.Name=Name:Zealand ;this is the name of the country that appears on the right hand side.
LoadScreenText.SpecialName=Name:BFRT ;this is the nation special, like the Tesla Tank or Black Eagle. It's in the upper left hand side.
LoadScreenText.Brief=Brief:NationBattlefort ;this is the description of the country, below the name.
MenuText.Status=STT:NationBattlefort ;this is the description of the country in the bottom of the skirmish screen, that generally provides something like "New Zealand can build Battlefortresses"
RandomSelectionWeight=1 ;this is the weight the country has in order to be picked at random. Yes, you can make other countries pop up more or less based on these numbers.

Now you just add the country to your sides list.
[Sides]
GDI=British,French,Germans,Americans,Alliance,Zealand ;new country is in

Now you should have a fully functional new country that can be selected. Based on where you inserted the country determines where the country appears in order on the skirmish drop-down menu.

I'll be writing a new side tutorial soon, don't worry. Wink

Key Words: #Tutorials #Modding #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #Ares #Rules.INI 

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another thing which needs to be mentioned,which might help out people:"NOSTR" prefix can help out,since it makes it no longer necessary to write the text in the CSF file.

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat wrote:
Another thing which needs to be mentioned,which might help out people:"NOSTR" prefix can help out,since it makes it no longer necessary to write the text in the CSF file.

Depends. The length of possible NOSTR values is very limited, because the UIName was mentioned to hold a CSF label name only, not a whole text.

You can have some 32 characters there, not sure, but IIRC that's not documented.

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd wrote:

You can have some 32 characters there, not sure, but IIRC that's not documented.

It is in the Ares manual, it's a 32 character limit, INCLUDING the NOSTR: prefix, so it can take up to 26 characters, including spaces.

zaebanbot
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I seem to have a problem with this. I know it must be something I have done because I am a n00b in modding RA2. Anyway, I have made China, but when I play the mod and I go at the skirmish the name of the country is something like Missing'Name:China' and it's the same for the Load Screen Text : Name, Brief and the Menu Text Status. Can you please tell me what im doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

[China]
UIName=Name:China
Name=China
Suffix=Soviet
Prefix=B
Color=DarkRed
Multiplay=yes
Side=Nod
SmartAI=yes .
File.Flag=chinaflag.pcx
File.LoadScreen=ob%sssovi.shp
File.LoadScreenPAL=mpyscrn.pal
File.Taunt=tauam%02i.wav
LoadScreenText.Name=China
LoadScreenText.SpecialName=Hyungo-cha Trooper
LoadScreenText.Brief=China is located in Asia(or whatever)
MenuText.Status=The Chinese can train the Hyungo-cha Trooper
RandomSelectionWeight=1

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by Allied General on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
zaebanbot
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot. That helped. But there is still a little problem I have with my new country. When I try to play skirmish with it and when the map opens I just hear the voice say "unit lost" and then the defeat screen appears. I have assigned the conscript and the construction yard to the country but still it does the same thing. Maybe the vehicle version of the construction yard is in a different place but I can't find it, idk. Any help would be welcome.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You shouldnt have to assign a new mcv to a new country. If your new country has Side=NOD and you added it to
[Sides]
NOD=blah,blah,blah,MyNewCountry
Then it should automatically asign it the Soviet MCV.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes You do o.0

The game decides what MCV to give you by checking BaseUnit & then looks at the Owner tags on each of them to decide who gets what.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I ment was assigning a new mcv by way of AI Triggers isnt necessary. But I did forget to mention If new country is listed in the NOD=MyNewCountry then you have to add MyNewCountry to Owner= on all the Soviet units and buildings to work correctly.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I'm assuming China is meant to be a new soviet country then you need to add China to every Owner tag for every buildable soviet unit and every structure to prevent the NCO bug explained here -

http://www.modenc.renegadeprojects.com/NCO

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
zaebanbot
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, thanks for the tips now it works great.

zaebanbot
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, my country works great. But the EVA is that Yuri guy even tho it's in the soviet side. And also every time I train or build anything it says new construction options. - Well now I found out that it says new construction options on all of my countries so I'll look help for that elsewhere. But I still need help with the Yuri EVA instead of the Soviet one.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is your new country have Side=ThirdSide and listed in ThirdSide=YuriCountry?

Anderwin
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I added:

Owner=British,French,Germans,Americans,Alliance,Russians,Confederation,Africans,Arabs,YuriCountry,Norway

To the power plants, all Allied buildings, units and so on. But when I start a map the map start and I get a vicotury screen. the AI blow up, WHY? Even the AI is Soviet they blow up.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like your copy protection is tripping. Reinstall the game.

This is a tutorial thread, not a "debug my countries" thread though. :p

gamefreak11221
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can someone give me the complete list of the flag files?

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why wouldn't someone do a done set for people whose mind got blown up?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
gamefreak11221
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xD that hits me!

Lansmozar
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this new country can be playable by A.I. computer ?

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lansmozar wrote:
Is this new country can be playable by A.I. computer ?

Yep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon