Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:32 am
All times are UTC + 0
The C&C Community Mod SDK Campaign Starts Now!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject:  The C&C Community Mod SDK Campaign Starts Now!
Subject description: In the name of Kane, support the cause and don't let the KW mod SDK join the ranks of the TFD 1.03!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone! Today, Project Perfect Mod and a big group of C&C websites are starting a public campaign to make the Kane's Wrath mod SDK become a reality. That campaign depends on you and on your support.

Instead of having a massive amount of fans moaning that corrupters are healing vehicles too fast or zocom orcas should be nerfed, or whatever... we want fans to be given the opportunity to ballance or modify the game on their own. The mod SDK is a must have set of tools to make Kane's Wrath become more interesting and attractive, specially after october. While EA representatives says that the game will receive some future patches, it will certainly not be patched for a long time, likewise all older Command & Conquer games.

And we need your support. Please, post in THIS TOPIC at EA forums, showing that you support the idea. The higher the amount of people who supports it, the higher the mod SDK's priority increases on EALA headquarters. In short, your support is crucial.

Here's the message we have for written for them:

Quote:
Dear Command & Conquer community and developers,

As fans of Command & Conquer games, especially the Kane's Wrath expansion for Command & Conquer 3, we are uniting the community in a new public campaign to highlight the extreme importance of a mod SDK for Kane's Wrath. As you know, modifications extend the life of the game, allowing fans to make their own rules and even support the game beyond the game's original life expectancy.

We are aware that the Electronic Arts Los Angeles RTS team is interested in creating a mod SDK for the game, but we are concerned about the lack of progress. We understand there are many things to do and not much time, but we request the developers increase the priority of the mod SDK, particularly over fixes for the world builder. While the map making tool is not as friendly as it was supposed to be, fans are able to create maps. At the moment, fans are unable to create modifications using the new features from Kane's Wrath at all. This prevents fans from making mods that use the new features from the Kane's Wrath engine, such as the fixed APC, mechapede code, global conquest mode, etc. The lack of a mod SDK is also a major obstacle for the creation of partial conversions, balance mods and expansion mods based on Kane's Wrath, which is a very traditional kind of modification done to any C&C game. Though sometimes lacking the flair of a total conversion, these mods do very well and are generally very popular with fans who merely want to see the community add to EA's work, not replace it.

We, some of the C&C community webmasters, promoted polls on our sites about this issue. From the results, we can only conclude that a Kane's Wrath mod SDK should have a high priority after whatever fixes are necessary for the game. You can see our polls at Project Perfect Mod, Thundermods, CnC Generals World, CnCHQ.de, CNCNZ and Planet CnC.

We reiterate that the need for a mod SDK is urgent--the sooner it is completed, the better! It is extremely important for the future of the community for both Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath. The longer it takes to be done, the fewer people will be interested in modding, and, as consequence, the game will become obsolete even faster. We hope that this mod SDK will reflect EA's promised emphasis on aftermarket product support, and not echo past errors such as the Generals Ladder Kit, the 1.03 patch for the First Decade, and other support software and patches that arrived late or not at all. For all fans out there, please express your words of support in a reply below. For the devs, think carefully about this proposal, as we believe it can benefit both the game and the community. This campaign is supported by at least each of the following sites and their respective communities:

-> CNC3.Net
-> CNCNZ.com
-> CnC Generals World
-> CNCHQ.de
-> CnC Labs
-> CnC Source
-> CnC World
-> Planet CnC
-> Project Perfect Mod
-> Revora Creative Community
-> Thundermods.net
-> TiberiumWeb

It is also supported by the following C&C3 mods, all of whom require the mod SDK for some of their features or would greatly benefit from its creation:

-> Dune: The Arrakian Wars
-> The Forgotten
-> Tiberian Dawn
-> Tiberian Sun Rising

We thank you for your consideration and we look forward to a new era of improved EA support.

And I repeat: please, post all replies at one place only, which is THIS TOPIC at EA forums. Make sure it is replied and bumped to hell, so modders and even casual gamers will take experience of limitless replayability of the game.

Last edited by Banshee on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wiziwig
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a good cause. I've been putting off getting Kane's Wrath mostly due to knowing there are no mods being made for it. If we can get an SDK for this, and start getting mods rolling out, EA's got themselves another buyer.

Good luck to everyone! Very Happy

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posting there as I write this (if I atleast can login #Tongue). Good job on the initiative Banshee! Let EA see what they really must do (even though the latest KW patch owns)!

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my support, anything to enhance the modding community, im there Smile

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ehm, just a small Q: how in hell do you log in? It keeps going from the login page to the Migrate Account page and to the login page again >_<

Apex
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got logged in but I get 404'd everytime I try to post in that topic.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Dutchy: If you are lucky, the migrate page will show actual buttons to let you select which nickname you'll be using. If that doesn't happen, try logging again or switch your browser. EA account system is definitely the worse I've seen in ages.

@Apex: Keep trying or change the browser. It really depends more on luck. Also, if your luck is low, try cutting excessive parameters from the address you are accessing after logging in.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the advice Banshee... This same problem keeps me from registering my RA3 beta for months >_<
*tests*
Aw ztype this shit! Stupid thing. Even IE can't fix it Rolling Eyes I'll try later...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also try Opera.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Also try Opera.

just don't keep any wine glasses near #Tongue

got my support

Stygs
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am really wondering why people want a KW SDK o.O

Seriously, the game is dead. Crying or Very sad
Generals + ZH has probaply more active online players than KW, and with RA3 & SC2 in the next month, there will be even less people playing KW :/

I mean, look at most CNC3 modding forum, most of them are dead.
A KW SDK wont change a thing, it will only make it even harder because duo the subfactions every change has to be done for every subfaction, leading to a lot of work.

The only mods that could use a KW SDK are small balance mods (which no one exepct the authors will play), TC will probaply change to RA3 as soon as it is released...

Last edited by Stygs on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stygs wrote:
TS has probaply more active online players than KW, and with RA3 & SC2 in the next month, there will be even less people playing KW :/

Uhh, yeah sure. I've never come across a dead KW online, theres always lots of games going. Automatch always finds people.

Though I agree a MSDK would be pointless. Theres been no good mods for TW and I really can't imagine this picking it up. Besides, most of the mods wanting this started their mod with the C&C3 engine in mind, before KW was even announced.

If this does go through, I hope EA delays Ra3 6 months to screw all the protesters over.

Stygs
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Stygs wrote:
TS has probaply more active online players than KW, and with RA3 & SC2 in the next month, there will be even less people playing KW :/

Uhh, yeah sure. I've never come across a dead KW online, theres always lots of games going. Automatch always finds people.

ok, there are still many games online, but considering that CnC is one of the mayor RTS brands, the current numbers are very low.
With the currently gameplay, the balance, EAs "support" and RA3 & SC2, I dont see a future for CnC3

Look at the CnC3 modding forum here at ppm, there are allways the same guys around, I even stopped asking questions here because the only active person here is Golan, and asking him per IRC is faster #Tongue
(ok, the mapping forum for CnC3 is kinda active Razz )

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And if KW gets a mod SDK, the activity will increase. The community is not dead yet and while most of the mods does not attract you, there are always something interesting that would make use of the SDK.

The SDK would mainly be for ballance and expansion mods, however, some TCs would prefer KW over RA3, since RA3 is more cartoonish, which would require modders to revamp the shaders. TCs like Tiberian Sun Rising and The Forgotten, or anything based on the tiberium storyline, would hardly move to RA3.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
some TCs would prefer KW over RA3, since RA3 is more cartoonish, which would require modders to revamp the shaders.

The shaders in both engines, I'm sure, are exactly the same. The art is what matters. So TCs using either KW or RA3 is arbitrary. It makes no difference.

You want a darker feel in RA3? Make darker textures...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Golan
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, it does. Doing a realistic/dark themed mod for RA3 is about twice the workload of a TW/KW mod - seeing how long it takes even the biggest teams to get a beta done, this is a long time.
Also, there´s a noticeable change in the way that terrain and resources work in RA3, it is most likely not possible for some existing mods to redo the gameplay in RA3. The UI also will probably support only one single button per unit, which was already a very big problem in TW - which allowed four (that´s, like, four times as many... #Tongue ).

Before I go on for too long - RA3 modding (if it ever comes to live) will most likely not be better than TW/KW modding, just different.

Chronosheep
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
The shaders in both engines, I'm sure, are exactly the same. The art is what matters. So TCs using either KW or RA3 is arbitrary. It makes no difference.

You want a darker feel in RA3? Make darker textures...

You are both wrong and right at the same time. Yes, the textures and models in RA3 are more cartoony, but I can also assure you that the shaders are different.
This applies both to water, postfx and bloom shaders - I don't know about object shaders.
I know the washed-out colours in C&C 3 are made by the shaders, I think it's a postfx one.
Even if you put your mind into it, you can't make C&C 3 as colourful as RA3 without modifying the shaders (and visa versa), just look at the Nod flame tank. The fuel tanks in the back are fully saturated red, but still they have the washed-out effect ingame.
You can also clearly see that they are using a different bloom shader in RA3 than in C&C 3.

And don't underestimate the work it would take to remake every single civilian asset in RA3 for a realisticly themed mod.

And if what Golan says about the UI turns out to be right, RA3 will have some massive drawbacks over C&C 3.

Chronojam
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll get behind this.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your support, buddy Smile.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!