Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am
All times are UTC + 0
XCC Mixer file insertion in Win7, and also Descriptions!
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:  XCC Mixer file insertion in Win7, and also Descriptions!
Subject description: Two questions!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have two questions related to XCC Mixer 1.47 (which I assume is the latest version, yes? The official site has nothing newer).

Firstly:
I'm running Win7 and inserting files into a mix simply does not work. I can drag files into the mix and it acts as if it was inserting them, but they do not actually get saved into the file. If I look at the file list in the mix right after drag-and-drop, they will not be in there. I'm assuming this is related to the user authorization obsession MS seems to have coded into Win7 (I need to confirm "run as administrator" on nearly every program), but I already have XCC Mixer set to Run as Admin and whatnot, but to no avail. Maybe I'm having it all wrong though and the cause is something different.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

And #2:
In XCC Mixer, there is a column labeled "Description", which is mostly empty for all mixes I've seen. Is there a way to add descriptions to files in a mix with XCC Mixer or some other method? It would greatly help me differentiate between otherwise pretty bland filenames.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You cannot just drag-and-drop files in XCC Mixer, lol...

You need MIX Editor for that.
Also, don't modify the default MIXes.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP wrote:
You cannot just drag-and-drop files in XCC Mixer, lol...

Umm o.0 yes you can, it's been a feature for about 10 years.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Descriptions are only in global mix database.dat, if the file name isn't in there and in he part that relates to the game XCC thinks the mix is from, it won't show one.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP, a FYI, if you use Compact after editing a mix in Mix Editor, that entire mix gets corrupted, so yes, it's better to use Mixer for that - Mix Editor is only better when one creates new mixes.

Millennium, check permissions. Sounds like that. Was Mixer installed or simply copied over?

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
RP
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
Descriptions are only in global mix database.dat, if the file name isn't in there and in he part that relates to the game XCC thinks the mix is from, it won't show one.

This is exactly what I mean!

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Millennium
Make sure you don't have the same mix opened twice with 2 XCC Mixer or for example while the game is running.
In such a case the mix is write protected since it is currently used by another process, and thus the added files wont be saved.

Having the game/mix files in any System folder (C:\Program files or the desktop) is a bad choice too. In stupid Windows you can be even Admin and run a program as Admin, yet the program has still no write permission in "Program Files".

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using FS/FA2 also locks the mix files too BTW.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hate bringing this up again, but Mixer is still not working. I've tried running the program from an external HD as admin AND I had the mixes themselves on my external HD as well. It still didn't work.

I could work around these problems until now because Ares allows me to use shp's and voxels right from the folder without the need for mixes, but I'm now using custom palettes and those apparently can onyl be read from a mix, so that soon, I will reach the point where I can't just work around this issue.

Does anyone have any further ideas/solutions/suggestions?

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It works on Win7 both 32/64 bit. Either set the admin in compatibility for the exe files or give it when asked.

- Create new empty mix files from XCC Mixer - File menu

Using XCC Mixer
- Browse to the folder where you have kept the empty mix file and double click on the mix file. Now
local mix database.dat file should be visible inside the mix file.
- Using windows explorer, select all the files you need and drag-n-drop in the opened mix file in XCC Mixer.
- That adds the content to mix file.

Using XCC Mix Editor
- Always use empty mix files. Never use insert/delete/compact buttons.
- Run XCC Mix Editor, click open and select the empty mix file. Now local mix database.dat file should be visible
inside the mix file.
- Using windows explorer select all the files you need and drag-n-drop in the opened mix file.
- Then click Save and Close.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sorry, but it really does not work. I know how to use XCC, I've used those tools for years with no issues on WinXP, but on Win7, drag-and-drop simply does... nothing. The mix stays empty.

And I've run them as Admin too and given all permissions. The only thing I've not yet tried is hacktivating the actual Win7 Admin account, but I don't think that would change anything either.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It does work on Win7, I've been using it for years. I don't have to run it with admin rights or anything.

I only know it doesn't work the when the mixes are opened by something else, like the game or FA2.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then... I'm at a complete loss as to what I'm doing wrong or what settings I need to change.

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is your Mixer started in Admin mode, but your Windows Explorer in User mode (or vice versa)?
Windows is stupid and doesn't allows drag&drop between programs in different security levels.

Can you delete files from a mix? Do they stay deleted and does it change the mix?

Public SHPs

Tools

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

- Is your file read only or the detacheable media is read only or do you see padlock symbol on the folder icons?
- Do you login as an administrator or your user account has admin rights?
- Have you tried Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change User Account Control Settings -> Never Notify?
- If XCC Mixer installation, mix file or mod contents are in C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ , then
move the files to a different drive and try re-installing XCC Mixer to a different drive.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@LKO:
I can delete files with no issues.
...how do I start Explorer in Admin mode? o_o

@E1E:
- No padlock symbol.
- I've not logged in as Admin or with default Admin Control yet. I'm going to activate Admin accounts now and try it.
- UAC is set to the lowest level.
- All files were on my external HD, not in /Program Files.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium wrote:
I can delete files with no issues.

That is very strange then.
If you can delete them inside a mix, you should be also able to add them.
I'm out of ideas. Sad

Public SHPs

Tools

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Belatedly, I fixed this by accident - I renamed the game folder (but left it in the same directory), and it works now. Very strange, but I don't mind.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What was it called before?

Do you used some crazy characters like á à â ö ä ã å æ ç  in your folder names?

I assume Mix Editor had trouble with your path name and thus could not locate the mix in the saving routine.

Public SHPs

Tools

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do believe that the First Decade version installs itself with a "™" added to each game folder name, so that might have been what was interfering with it.

Blade wrote:

Can that file be modified by a layperson?

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem with ™ in the folder name, just tried.

Global mix db file comes with XCC utilities, layperson can't modify it. I am not aware of any tool for
that. You could edit it with hex editor.

I use Total Commander as file manager, you could try some other file manager instead of Windows
Explorer.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, the problem itself is solved by now, XCC Mixer works fine.
If it wasn't the TM, I have no idea what caused it and why changing the folder name solved it.

Thanks for the info on GMDB.dat

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The XCC source comes with code for a small util which builds the database as well as the files that it generates it from. Just grab the source, compile the libraries that it needs and then compile the tool. If you look at the code under https://github.com/OmniBlade/xcc/tree/encoding, there are more complete filename files that when built to a database cover most WW games that used mix files.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Link is a 404, sadly.

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The day Millenium compiles that without any help I will be impressed mildly as I think he swallowed more than can chew with average joe skills.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah... I was going to give it a try though before I pointed out that that was not quite within my reach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum