Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:25 am
All times are UTC + 0
W8 issues, what causes them?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Olaf van der Spek
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject:  W8 issues, what causes them? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA2 (and TS) have troubles running on W8 (and sometimes W7), troubles related to the screen not updating. Does anyone know what the fundamental issue here is?
I'm aware of various DD wrappers, but none of them seems perfect.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's probably the same as the problems with Vista, Windows 7 before they matured, as most of the symptoms are the same.

It's the legacy directx support, installing all required redistributables should solve the problem. ( Too bad most of them come on game installation CD's ).
(installing those solved the problem for me in the past.)

Also keep in mind that since Windows Vista the desktops are rendered as '3D'. So to render RA2/TS the OS has to switch to 2D mode and this has been quite messy ever since.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This problem has several causes:
1. In Win8 this is due to the rejection of technology support DirectDraw, it was replaced by the repeater functions DirectDraw to Direct2D.
2. Just such a problem arises in the earlier version of Windows (Vista, Seven or even XP). This is due not to the operating system, problem in GPU. Some manufacturers (mainly Intel) have these problems.

It seems that in windowed mode, the menu is always working properly.

The problem with Windows8 solved easily (at least YR). If the process name and gamemd.exe in a folder or file is in the same Ra2md.exe (content does not matter, only checked its availability), the menu will work.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Another attempt to fix the problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another attempt to fix the problem:
I wrote a small script for the program AutoHotkey (script source code and binary file attached)

The script runs the game in windowed mode, but without the window frame, as well as hides the Taskbar when the window is active, and returns the Taskbar in place when the window is not active.

As there is a ini file, using the settings that you can use this script to other games (Ra2, TS, possibly other), the default script is configured to work with YR.

I wrote this script for a few hours, and did not spend much time on optimization, so use it at your own risk.

AdvancedWin.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AdvancedWin.zip
 Filesize:  330.11 KB
 Downloaded:  48 Time(s)

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO wrote:
Glukv48 wrote:
Speculator, Same in windowed mode?

and look here.
http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=3003.0

DaRTzO wrote:
Try this : http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html

Please post back and let me know if it worked, as it will help with the future development of the unofficial patch for ra2.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=518443#518443
Have you checked it ?

So I tested out the ts-ddraw and your autohotkey script.

The ts-ddraw caused my ra2 to be very slow and in game it actually caused tearing, the game normally doesn't display any tearing for me. Also my windows 7 seemed to get very sluggish as well, when alt tabbing the whole desktop was very glitchy and slow.

The autohotkey script ended up showing me a white screen after starting the game like in the screenshot below. Also one of the folders that I had open (maxmized) was also affected by the script's enabled settings, no taskbar or titlebar, I had to alt tab to close it.
It's a very buggy option if it does work.

Yes, I know that this is the TS editing forum.

DaRTzO, You do not have to install autohotkey, there is attached a binary file, use it. So you need to check for compliance with all AdvancedWin.ini parameters. And also you need to make sure you do not have to open the window in the system that contain the value of the parameter WinTitle.
And as you may require administrator privileges.

I said,that this script is not optimized, but if someone can do something like that as a patch for the exe file of the game, then I think it will work well.

3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.08 KB
 Viewed:  8937 Time(s)

3.png

2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.5 KB

2.png

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.44 KB

1.png

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still, this seems very buggy and has other inconveninces by the looks. It would be hard to advise every player to close all other windows, plus a lot of them love to alt tab.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glukv48 wrote:
This problem has several causes:
The problem with Windows8 solved easily (at least YR). If the process name and gamemd.exe in a folder or file is in the same Ra2md.exe (content does not matter, only checked its availability), the menu will work.

wait, what? So you mean there can be any process with the name of the original filename and the game works?

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh, If the process name does not match the game(md).exe, and\or in a folder with no file Ra2(md).exe (Only checked the availability, content does not matter).

EDIT: If you are using windowed mode, then you do not need to respect such naming.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, okay Smile Well, pretty much the same problem as i have in dune2000 then ... i tried to fake the command line and all kinds of weird stuff but it didnt work, the game only works if the process name equals the original file name.

What is causing that? Is it really some automatic compatibility setting applied by windows8? I could not find any code in the game that would check the process name

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh, I think this is some kind of special conditions in the implementation of ddraw in windows8. I too was looking for something like that, but did not find. So I was looking for the names of all files and system files (in ANSI and Unicode), but I did not find nothing.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could solve the drawing and performance issues on dune 2000 by calling SetAppCompatData in ddraw.dll with some magic params Smile Now the executable can have any name. I don't know if this works for ra2/ts too, but might be worth a try!

Idea comes from here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php?topic=99477&post=1202630

thanks to hippox89 for pointing me to this solution

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh, Very interesting. I will test it in the coming days.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tore said it worked on TS too, no more menu problems but the performance was not good Sad might need to set another compat mode to solve this

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FunkyFr3sh, I took MicrosoftApplicationCompatibilityToolkit, after trial and error to choose for themselves the following sequence

It works almost as well as on Win7 (a bit slower due to the emulation, but absolutely comfortable), the only remaining problem - not able to continue the game after minimizing a window. I suspect that this is a bug in the code MS 8And16BitTimedPriSync, when the game is minimizing, videomod returns to normal, return to the game he changed to 16bit. While Win8 only supports 32bit VideoMod, and emulation starts to not work correctly.

FunkyFr3sh
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was digging a bit in the automatic compat settings windows is using for programs. I could extract them, here they are:

ra2.exe ra2md.exe game.exe gamemd.exe:
EmulateSlowCPU
DXPrimaryEmulation -DisableMaxWindowedMode
8And16BitTimedPriSync

dune2000.dat:
DXPrimaryEmulation -DisableMaxWindowedMode

Tiberian Sun does not have any default compat settings, that explains why it fails even with the original executable name, we could try to use the same settings as ra2 is using

Here are the full settings:
http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/compat/

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Small hack that disables the window frame when you run the game in windowed mode.

YR:

Code:
[WinModeNoFrameYR]
Name=Windowed mode with no frame of the window.
Description=Windowed mode with no frame of the window.
Link=http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=524562&highlight=#524562
Type=YR
Offset=0x377cc3
Original=CA 02
Modified=0A 86

RA2:

Code:
[WinModeNoFrameRA2]
Type=RA2
Offset=0x337c63
Original=CA 02
Modified=0A 86

TS:

Code:
[WinModeNoFrameTS]
Type=TS
Offset=0x286213
Original=CA 02
Modified=0A 86

EDIT: Added hack to RA2 and TS.

Last edited by Glukv48 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:59 am; edited 5 times in total

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you do the same hack for Red Alert 2? Please!

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I updated the hack, as it was impossible to roll the window. Now you can roll the window with Win+↓

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, what do you mean by rolling the window? Scrolling? Moving it?

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh. I'm sorry. I meant "minimization"

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. <3

Olaf van der Spek
Medic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glukv48 wrote:
Small hack that disables the window frame when you run the game in windowed mode.

Why did you hijack my topic? :p
For reference:
old: WS_CLIPCHILDREN | WS_BORDER | WS_DLGFRAME | WS_SYSMENU | WS_GROUP
new: WS_POPUP | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_CLIPCHILDREN | WS_SYSMENU | WS_GROUP

Why is WS_CLIPSIBLINGS necessary?

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Confirmation dialogues? Such as the one in custom match lobby for creating game channels (with all the options n stuff).

Olaf van der Spek
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is that a guess based on you reading the description or what?

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mhmm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon