Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm
All times are UTC + 0
On the subject of Fallout 3
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject:  On the subject of Fallout 3 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right. Fallout 3 is simple, temperemental if you do it wrong but here's the basics on how to avoid it:

RULE ONE ENCRUSTED IN GOLD BY THE POPE:
Do not use autosave. hit the tilde key (left of 1 and above tab) and type save (space) [unique savegame name with no spaces] then hit enter. or use a utility like CASM from Fallout3nexus.com (Cipscis automatic save manager).

RULE TWO:
Do not continue a save if you used a plugin, then edited it. load the game without the changed plugin, save, then load with the new version.

RULE 3:
Use your brain. If you have 2 pluging and want one to override the other load it after, *or* delete the changes you don't want in FO3Edit.

RULE 4 ENCRUSTED IN LOGIC BY ME:
If you get an error in more than one mod it probably isn't either's fault. Look somewhere else.

RULE 5:
Plugins are easy to uninstall, just un-tick them in FOMM/the FO3 launcher. If you think it's causing a problem, it's trial and error time.

As for my identity? I know who I am. I know you know I know who I am. I know I know you may not know who I am. This is the way it shall stay, slightly confusing but nothing more.

I shall say but one thing. Were this Fallout, my T45 would have red paint on and I'd take pride in it.

MT
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why not autosave? I never got any problems and I use my mod as well as many others.

Ghost of Christmas PastII

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I'm Banned again...

Autosave writes over the same hard drive segment again and again. Like any operation doing that it has a chance of becoming distorted or corrupted, not by much, but all that's needed is a few bits or bytes and two hours after the 'bad' autosave you get a CTD. At least if you save regularly, by console or esc menu you aren't saving over the same bit again and again. Also, how handy! You now have a dozen backups if you decide that this new mod isn't to your tastes and is causing problems when you remove it.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Who banned you? I mean... if you were banned, I wasn't the one who banned your Ghost of Christmas Past account.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ghost of Christmas PastII wrote:
Well I'm Banned again...

Autosave writes over the same hard drive segment again and again. Like any operation doing that it has a chance of becoming distorted or corrupted, not by much, but all that's needed is a few bits or bytes and two hours after the 'bad' autosave you get a CTD. At least if you save regularly, by console or esc menu you aren't saving over the same bit again and again. Also, how handy! You now have a dozen backups if you decide that this new mod isn't to your tastes and is causing problems when you remove it.

Hmm, might try this when I want to FO3 again. It crashes for me much more since I play it on my new PC...

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well that's odd... Works again now.

Also, Dutchy are you running FO3 on an ATI or Nvidia card? And if Nvidia are you using their new drivers (the ones that claim 13% extra FO3 performance or later)? Those drivers do no good to your Fallout 3 Experience.

As a note to everyone else, I heartily reccomend:
A good auto-aim fix
And a sneaking fix

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nvidia GeForce GTX 280
Intel Q9550 Quad Core CPU
4 GB RAM
Game freezes most of the time when playing the game for 1-2 hours, most when entering new areas, or rarely when saving. Have tried to fix it many ways, but all failed unfortunately.

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nvidia Drivers, look on the site for the one that advertises better FO3 performance, and use the one before that.

If you have mods, start a new game (or) sell all the mod items, save(manually by console or pause menu) un-select them in FOMM or the FO3 launcher, start your game, save again and re-activate.

Tweak Fallout.ini, set the game to use all your processors (busethreaded[AI,etc]=1). If you look on the Nexus there's a comprehensive guide, and a program specifically for the task. Be aware if you have FOSE you're inviting a minor amount of error (worth it IMO) and if you use multiple mods they may well conflict, especially large mods like FWE and FOOK.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, that may be a good one. The latest driver I downloaded from Nvidia fucked up all many games and my modelling programs for some reason Rolling Eyes

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It does that. Avoid it.

To elaborate on my earlier suggestions:
The Auto-aim thing
Fallout 3 has an auto-aim. It appears it developed pacifist tendencies during development and makes you miss a lot more than you should. At long ranges it pulls your bullets up so over 30 meters you have to adjust downwards... At closer ranges it stops you from aiming ahead of enemies with a slow projectile like a plasma shot. By (I found this really amazingly stupid) guiding it towards where the enemy is at the moment you fire, whether you want it to or not.

The aimbot always directs your shot towards the nearest enemy torso -as much as it's allowed- when beyond really close range. This means if a raider has his head and shoulders above a wall, but his torso is behond cover, your laser bolt will be directed towards the centre of mass and not the head you aimed for. At anything over short range this gets REALLY annoying.

Just plain disabling the auto-aim causes any gunfire to miss the reticle, as weapon models aren't alligned with the crosshair...

This file fixes it, tricking the auto-aim into always guiding your bullets directly towards the crosshair preventing the aimbot from messing up your long-range head/leg/arm shots and at close range letting you fire plasma in front of your foes, so you actually hit.

The Sneaking thing
At 100m away in broad daylight on an open road in front of your enemy crouching does NOT make you invisible, however you should still be able to sneak up behind people or in the less brightly lit indoors. If you want a bit more challenge to your stealth and a bit less of an "oh look, my opponents are blind!" feeling then this is for you.

Last edited by Ghost of Christmas Past on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

The Sneaking thing
At 100m away in broad daylight on an open road in front of your enemy crouching does NOT make you invisible, however you should still be able to sneak up behind people or in the less brightly lit indoors. If you want a bit more challenge to your stealth and a bit less of an "oh look, my opponents are blind!" feeling then this is for you.

Lovely. Just something that I've been looking for. Thanks for the links dude. Wink

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know of any land expansion mods for FO3? If not, I wonder why one hasn't be proposed...

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's the GTS (Global Travel System). There's a Rekjavik mod and a few others. Unfortunately due to the size of such a mod few are finished and fewer are any good. Don't let that stop you from trying them though, I'm just a cynic.

Wess
TS Mapping GOD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fallout3nexus>Browse categories>New Lands.

that what you are looking for?

@ Ghost of Christmas Past, i'll try out that Auto-aim thingy, sound interesting.

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It helps. A lot. Can't tell you how satisfying it is to hit a talon merc with a sniper from a whole cell away. Can't understate it's usefulness either...

inzane krazy
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
Why not autosave? I never got any problems and I use my mod as well as many others.

Because MT, to put it simply, there is this annoying autosave bug which has been around since Oblivion, well, this engine's saving is fucked up to put it simply. Also, Saving over the same save again and again in a short period of time, will lead to a massive failure the next time you level up.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ghost, both your links link to the sneak mod. Can you fix this?

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

arslan5000
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because MT, to put it simply, there is this annoying autosave bug which has been around since Oblivion, well, this engine's saving is fucked up to put it simply. Also, Saving over the same save again and again in a short period of time, will lead to a massive failure the next time you level up #Mad  Laughing  Rolling Eyes  Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum