Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:05 am
All times are UTC + 0
Possibly stupid questions from beginning modders
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [51 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:  Possibly stupid questions from beginning modders
Subject description: Warning! Patience may be needed.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to ask what is VEINHOLEDUMMY and its purpose? In its code Image=blahblahblah suggests something funny. When I tried spawning VEINHOLEDUMMY (weapon's WH explosion anim is art.ini debris with TiberiumSpawnType=VEINHOLEDUMMY), the game produced Internal Error when debris impacted (except.txt is attached).
EDIT: Maybe it is because VEINHOLEDUMMY is 181st of 182, and I need to create overlays 183-192 to ensure TiberiumSpawnType key works normally?
[EDIT3: tested, answer seems to be yes because no IE occurs. But if anything was spawned, it seemeingly does nothing.]
EDIT2: VEINHOLEDUMMY may be responsible for vein growth, but in the last 3 years maybe more knowledge was obtained about it.

except_placing VEINHOLEDUMMY.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  except_placing VEINHOLEDUMMY.txt
 Filesize:  20.75 KB
 Downloaded:  27 Time(s)

Last edited by ExperimenterChemist on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:54 am; edited 5 times in total

Nordos
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Without any knowlegde, I would guess that VEINHOLEDUMMY is used to make the Veinhole-logic work (just like WEEDGUY with Primary=MultiCluster is needed to make the cluster missile possible)

Well, dunno anyway #Tongue

So, yeah, I've created a new acc. 'cause no one could remember Ordosherrscher - and I didn't like that name anyway.

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I edited my above post to add more information.

Something connected to the first post. I cloned VEINTREE as VH1-VH12, placed them at the end of Overlay Object List, created their entries in Terrain Objects section (by copy-pasting and renaming the VEINTREE entry), and made their art.ini entries:
Code:
[VH1]
Theater=yes

I spawned the clones succesfully, but they did not work and were green. I can even build on them. I copied the veinhole.tem, renamed the copies to vh1.tem-vh12.tem, and placed them in temperat.mix - nothing changed. TerrainPalette=true also did not help. I experienced the same phenomena with spawned VEINS clones. Could someone tell me what is wrong? In this way original VEINHOLE overlay can be spawned with some success and it mostly works (can be destroyed, produces green gas clouds when under fire, but veins did not grow). Mod files for Veinhole clone spawning enclosed.

TiberiumSpawnType=VEINS1, 1-10, Image=VEINS.png
 Description:
VEINS clones (VEINS1-VEINS10 with Image=VEINS) spawned green and don't have any effect
 Filesize:  421.95 KB
 Viewed:  9589 Time(s)

TiberiumSpawnType=VEINS1, 1-10, Image=VEINS.png

Spawning Veinhole clone.gif
 Description:
Green, do not have any effect
 Filesize:  749.02 KB
 Viewed:  9589 Time(s)

Spawning Veinhole clone.gif

temperat.mix and ini files.zip
 Description:
The Veinhole clone spawning mod. Veins clone spawning is not included.

Download
 Filename:  temperat.mix and ini files.zip
 Filesize:  830.38 KB
 Downloaded:  36 Time(s)

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

veinhole is hardcoded
it has 1 dummy object that is responsible for vein growth
but to grow them it already has to have on map veins around it

alone with the "mouth" it won't grow anything

long story short - you can't make it "to be created and live"
this only works properly via map editor, in game it is impossible

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
you can't make it "to be created and live"

I hoped that the answer will be different... Thank you for this information! (Maybe it is connected with the orange->green colour change.)

So, maybe it is time for another stupid question. IsThreatRatingNode=true works only on buildings or on other things (infantry/vehicle/aircraft...) as well?

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
(Maybe it is connected with the orange->green colour change.)

err no...
you can spawn it, also via weapon, and it will look normal
but it won't do anything

same goes for vinifera tree/rock
---
as for TRN

someone correct me if I'm wrong
but it partially works on everything, but some things in Rules.ini needs to be adjusted to make it work

the TRN evaluates (again reads from ini file) what is "more dangerous"

read some on
http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/IsThreatRatingNode
http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/The_Threat_System
http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/SpecialThreatValue

also search forum, there was discussion before of it
even (I think) how to enable it properly

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
you can spawn it, also via weapon, and it will look normal

Quote:
In this way original VEINHOLE overlay can be spawned with some success and it mostly works (can be destroyed, produces green gas clouds when under fire, but veins did not grow).

It works with the original VEINHOLE and VEINS overlays, but not with their clones.
Quote:
but it partially works on everything, but some things in Rules.ini needs to be adjusted to make it work

My question was easy to misunderstand. I read that lots of work needed to activate Threat Rating Node. I wanted to ask that infantry/vehicle/aircraft with IsThreatRatingNode=yes are counted as a TRN or only buildings with that tag are TRNs. There was a Commander Unit post, and I thought it would be realistic if a commander makes your units more intelligent.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IsThreatRatingNode is a BuildingTypes only key.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just curious: if I hijacked a loaded enemy APC with Mutant Hijacker, would I also get the infantry inside it or something else happens?

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you capture an enemy APC loaded with infantry with your hijacker, then you get the vehicle with infantry in it.
You can get control of the vehicle and unload the passengers. But the infantry still belongs to the enemy and
you don't get control of the infantry. When they come out of the vehicle, they continue the instruction given
in its AI script.

Capturing only converts the vehicle to your side, but if you don't intervene, the vehicle continues its AI script mission.

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your answer!

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to make a weapon which can only target my own units and does this automatically? (Something similar to RepairBullet or Heal, but capable of targetting any of my units and not only damaged ones.)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no, unfortunately not possible.

Public SHPs

Tools

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What do you planned to do? Maybe there is a workaround possible to achieve something similar.

Public SHPs

Tools

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently read that pre-placed laser fences can be used as gates with appropriate triggers. I was curious if it is possible to achieve something similar with player-build fences. I thought the next.

Giving laser fence sections Gate=yes so my units try to go through it. Giving a weapon to laser fence post which only firing on your units, and solving that firing this weapon EMPs the fence post (by split logic). This results in a turned off laser fence, and your unit can go through unharmed before the EMP effect vanishes. Problems:
A) Such weapon cannot be created (even if it is possible, it shouldn't fire on buildings, only on infantry and vehicles -> maybe an infantry-specific and a vehicle-specific weapon).
B) Weapon range should be carefully adjusted. If it is too long, the fence turns off unnecessarily. If it is too short, it won't fire on units which try to go through halfway between two fence posts. So, the best would be to maximize the numer of laser fence sections between two post in 2 instead of the current 5 (change GuardRange of NAPOST to 3 from 10), and give the weapon a range which is approximately 2-3 cells.
C) Fine-tuning EMP duration. (If ROF<duration, when the EMP ends, will the fence turn on for a moment before turning off again?)

Because I was curious, after your answer, I tried the idea with a negative damage Warhead=Mechanic weapon (which only targeted my damaged units). Possibly, I made some errors because it did not work properly (see video here, codes are in the description of the video). When the vehicle moved from bottom left to top right (and was not too fast), it usually gone through successfully, but other directions usually resulted in destruction of the vehicle. Also, if the vehicle was closely "above" the fence post, it got EMPed.

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not a TS modder, but I think that even if you manage to make the laser fences open when your units are near, you will have to manualy tell them to go to the fence, because of the pathfinding that the units will have. They will still consider the laser fence as wall (unpassable).

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^Gate logic on the fence sections takes care of pathfinding.

@ExperimenterChemist: Very interesting modding there. Approved!
ExperimenterChemist wrote:
Because I was curious, after your answer, I tried the idea with a negative damage Warhead=Mechanic weapon (which only targeted my damaged units).

That is strange. From my experience, only vehicletypes auto-target other player vehicletypes with (neg-damage) repair weapons. When given to infantry or buildings they don't see it as a repair weapon anymore and shoot on enemy units instead.

I just tested it myself, and a building with a neg damage weapon will indeed auto-fire on your own damaged units. Very interesting.
Somehow i always took it as granted that repair weapons work only for vehicle2vehicle and infantry2infantry, never technotype-across.

Possibly, I made some errors because it did not work properly (see video here, codes are in the description of the video).

Do you set a good PrimaryFireFLH or PrimaryFirePixelOffset on the post in art.ini to ensure the projectile starts in the center of the building and not slightly north of it?
If that doesn't help, try PrimaryFireFLH=-1,0,0 so the bullet starts slightly away from the targeted unit behind the building. Use only a tiny value so it is still hitting only the building.

The weapon code can be simplified
3rd stage is not necessary
use Dropping=yes on the projectile so it is not possible to travel any distance at all and explode immediately.
e.g.
Code:
;experimental weapon for laser fence post
;this only targets my damaged units
[RepairBullet2]
Damage=-50
ROF=5
Range=3 ;maybe it should be higher
Projectile=NewProj1
ProjectileRange=0.1
Speed=100
Warhead=Mechanical

;this does the EMP
[NewWeap1]
Damage=12
Warhead=NewWH ;EMEffect warhead with Spread=0
Range=3
Speed=100
ROF=5
Projectile=NewProj2
ProjectileRange=0

;experimental
[NewProj1]
;Inviso=yes ;disabled for testing
Image=DRAGON ;for testing only, othervise none
Dropping=yes ;LKO: explode immediately
High=no
VeryHigh=no
;Shadow=no
Proximity=no
Cluster=1 ; number of small missiles to launch
Ranged=yes
Range=0 ;it should explode within the laser fence post to ensure that NewProj2 starts from inside the building
Splits=yes
AirburstWeapon=NewWeap1
IgnoresFirestorm=yes

[NewProj2]
;Inviso=yes ;disabled for testing
Image=120mm ;for testing only, othervise none
Dropping=yes ;LKO: fall straight down and hit same spot from where it started
High=no
VeryHigh=no
;Shadow=no
Proximity=no
Cluster=1 ; number of small missiles to launch
Ranged=yes
Range=0 ;to ensure it detonates inside the laser fence post, EMPing it (in practice, for reasons unknown to me, it is not working properly)
;AA=yes

; experimental warhead
[NewWH]
Spread=0 ; to ensure that only the fence is EMPed (reality: vehicle up to fence get EMPed if it is too close)
Wall=yes
Wood=yes
Verses=25%,65%,75%,100%,60% ;there were problems, so I screwed a bit up this WH in hope it helps (it did not)
Conventional=yes
EMEffect=yes ;important
InfDeath=3

However, as good as your progress is, in the end i doubt you'll get it fully working.
a) it doesn't shoot on fully repaired units. Those still see the fence as a gate, the post isn't deactivated, the unit moves on the fence and explodes due to special laser fence logic.
b) you'll always have these graphical issues of the switching image on the fence. The gate logic is coded to cycle through the frames and the fence is using the multiple frames for the different directions and on/off states. To combine both means the frames are used for 2 different things.

Public SHPs

Tools

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

I just tested it myself, and a building with a neg damage weapon will indeed auto-fire on your own damaged units. Very interesting.
Somehow i always took it as granted that repair weapons work only for vehicle2vehicle and infantry2infantry, never technotype-across.

This works back on RA1 as well. The prob was in RA1 it would also fire on any bad inf or units that came in range. Also player and AI units would think the healing building was an armed building like a gun turret and auto attack the healing building.

I think both probs are still in TS. If I reall right I had a Nod Mobile Repair Vehicle fix my Titans but I had to use force fire to stop my Titans from attacking the Mobile Repair Vehicle.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

It also works building to infantry. I applied your suggestions (weapon simplification, PrimaryFireFLH=-1,0,0), but without much success. Some conclusions:
-NAPOST have reaction time problems (Attack Buggy often reaches NAFNCE before NAPOST can fire, destroying itself as a result)
-these healing weapons seemingly ignore GuardRange, and fire automatically only about 2 cells distance (in case of NAPOST, which uses this tag to other purposes  [maximum distance between two connected NAPOSTs], I was not surprised; but in GARADR they had the same result: it do not fire from its own on a Wolverine close to it, only if it was forced to do so)
-it is interesting, but still seems to be a dead end (at least for me)

I thought that this self-EMPing could be useful. I thought about a Radiation Tower base defense (or something else) which constantly damages anything near it (deployed Desolator style), but has these weapons. So when your units try to go near it, they get damaged which the tower notices and turns off itself for a while so your units can pass relatively unharmed. In TS, GARADR active animation has ActiveAnimPowered=yes and stopped when it EMPed itself (see here), so maybe an active anim with  ActiveAnimPowered=yes and art.ini debris traileranim works, but the short automatic fire range makes even this unusable. In RA2, Modenc says that EMP do not paralyze objects, so this is completely unusable. Sad

But at least I accidentally get an active animation which is played only after buildup and during repair. It could be good as repair animation.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

your experiment made me aware of another side effect of EMP, which might come useful.

Problem:
TS has the nasty bug that a unit standing on a cell, follows any enemy unit that comes in range and then leaves again. Like AA units following passing by aircraft back deep into the enemy base where they got killed. There is simply no Guard-Cell command. It's always target and hunt down till one dies.

Side effect:
An EMPed unit forgets its last command.

Solution:
If you could let AA units fire next to the AA weapon a super short EMP on itself, the AA unit would forget the target and thus don't follow it stupidly across the entire map.

But there are so many unwanted side effects to this, that i doubt there is any useful way to implement it.

Public SHPs

Tools

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the rules.ini section of Nod warfactory, there is a NaturalSmokeLocation=-12,0,370 line. I opened game.exe with WordPad and searched for 'natural', but only found NaturalParticleSystem and NaturalParticleLocation. As far as I know, working tags are all mentioned in game.exe, so this thing is strange. It would be difficult to believe that Westwood 'invented' keys in the same manner as some (usually newbye) modder did, so I am sure I missed something. But what? (Maybe it is a leftover?)

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I successfully completed my MSc studies, so finally I have more time to TS. First, I would like to ask some help.
I read a topic somewhere (I think it was PPM) where a strange missile behavior was discussed. Slow homing missiles flew straight ahead for a while, and only after this started homing. If I remembered correctly, in the end it was discovered that homing works above a critical speed and with a sufficiently high Acceleration value the above mentioned phenomena can be eliminated.
However, now I cannot find this topic (I tried PPM's search and Google search restricted to ppmsite.com, but neither was successful). I would be pleased if someone give me a link to that topic.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was on Tibweb.
click me Wink

It would be difficult to believe that Westwood 'invented' keys in the same manner as some (usually newbye) modder did, so I am sure I missed something. But what? (Maybe it is a leftover?)

They obviously made keys and then removed or renamed them, but forgot to change the ini.
Best example is the IsBase key, which you find numerous times in rules.ini, but which doesn't exist. The correct key is BaseNormal.

On the other hand they were so nice to even create keys which they then forgot/ignored to use, so we have something special to play with. e.g. LightningRod

Public SHPs

Tools

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HarvesterDumpLoadRate??? (forgot the tagname) was that unused? i never check TS inis

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@deathreaperz
There is a HarvesterLoadRate and a HarvesterDumpRate key in TS game.exe together with IRepairRate, URepairRate, RepairRate, IRepairStep etc. TS rules.ini do not contain these two harvester-related keys, but URepairRate and the others are under [General] section of rules.ini, so I think it is unused. Some additional information can be found at Modenc (here and here), but it do not tell much more than their names themselves.

@LKO
Thank you for your fast answer. About ignored/undocumented/non-existing keys: were there any attempts to collect all keys from game.exe, then from the inis, and compare the two lists? It would make easier to remove non-existing keys from the inis (together with their description), and also would give "new", unused keys. (Of course, keys that are in game.exe not surely works - such as ShareTurretData.)

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought that a pontoon bridge would be useful. I tried three methods to create a pontoon bridge part, but all of them failed. It did not matter that I built the building or created it by unit deploying.

First try: WaterBound=yes building, the whole building is a bib. Amphibious vehicles get through it correctly, but other vehicles refused (even with force move). When I force-moved an APC on it, the APCW image was shown, so it seems that units still see it as water (even through a building is on it).

Second try: WaterBound=yes building with ToTile=pvclr01 (or similar). It soon became clear that ToTile and WaterBound are incompatible: it cannot be built either on water or on ground.

Third try: WaterBound=yes GASAND. It cannot be built, so it seems that WaterBound is also incompatible with ToOverlay.

Does anyone have an idea how can I solve this problem and create a working pontoon bridge? I would appreciate it.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

same things i tried in the past as well.
However i got a little bit further on the ToOverlay part.

Walls can be placed on water if you give [Water] Track=1% or higher. (or was it Wheel?). It seems for Overlays to be placeable, the terrain needs to be passable.

Using Walls=yes on the Overlay, does not allow you to use the key Land=.
Thus you have to use a normal Overlay, not the special walls logic and in the end you would have to build the bridge piece by piece.

Maybe this brings you a bit further.
Good luck, and let me know about your findings. Smile

Public SHPs

Tools

Nordos
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hah, the only thing I accomplished was a very weird ToTile Brigde.
I made it havin a buildable 10x10 tile placed with a 1x1 tile or something like that, but it became soo apparent that it will never have any use. It would create problems with slopes (slope errors) and it could only be build from the top left corner to the bottom right corner.

Though you could try to have the same effect with overlay? What happens if you have a 1x1 foundation and a 2x2 or 3x3 overlay?

Otherwise...

So, yeah, I've created a new acc. 'cause no one could remember Ordosherrscher - and I didn't like that name anyway.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Overlays are hardcoded to work only with 1x1 foundation.

Public SHPs

Tools

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

question is can it be un-hardcoded ?

how did we end up here ?

smells like balls ...

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surely not, since the way they are stored in a map is tile based and each tile stores not only the type of overlay but also the active frame of the overlay (overlays are the only object that allow multiple frames with each frame being placeable individually on a map). A data structure that is not comparable with any other map object.

Public SHPs

Tools

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A question and something I found interesting.

1) Are there any way to change the point where freeunits appear (similarly to changing unit exit points with ExitCoord)?

2) Maybe this is already well known, but if you give an active animation LoopCount=1, the whole animation is played once after buildup and during repairing (ignoring LoopStart and LoopEnd, including shadow frames). If the animation fits well to the end of the buildup, it can be used as a "repairanim". With the help of ActiveAnim[n]Damaged (n=Four, Three etc.), it should be possible to create a different "repairanim" for the damaged stage. An example can be seen here (codes in the description of the video).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1) Are there any way to change the point where freeunits appear (similarly to changing unit exit points with ExitCoord)?

Good question, but not that i know of.

2) Maybe this is already well known, but if you give an active animation LoopCount=1, the whole animation is played once after buildup

this is known.

and during repairing (ignoring LoopStart and LoopEnd, including shadow frames). If the animation fits well to the end of the buildup, it can be used as a "repairanim". With the help of ActiveAnim[n]Damaged (n=Four, Three etc.), it should be possible to create a different "repairanim" for the damaged stage. An example can be seen here (codes in the description of the video).

This is new to me and indeed a very nice and interesting find. Cool It's actually also quite logical, since when you repair the building, a complete check for the damage state and the activeanims status according to the damage state is done (like, do i have to play the normal or the damage anim), so it is like starting the whole building from zero again (only without buildup). And thus it also starts the non-looping activeanims again.

Thank you for sharing this info.
Amazing what still can be found after all these years.

Public SHPs

Tools

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some random questions...

1) I thought that units with limited ammo would be more realistic than current ones, but I found this: "Vehicles can only reload if they have ManualReload=yes and drive on a building with UnitReload=yes (other than aircraft, who don't need ManualReload=yes)." Can the AI handle ManualReload with good scripting etc.? (I suspect it cannot, but I am not sure.)

2) I would like to force the AI to build some buildings immediately after deploying the MCV (before the power plants). These buildings, however, should be unbuildable by human players. How could I achieve this? (Currently I cannot understand AI base building in all its depth.)

3) What are the limitations of editing existing superweapons? (Etc. as far as I know, Hunterseeker should be a vehicle with fly locomotor.) For example, can I modify Firestorm SW into a multimissile-like one? Or after modifying Drop Pod into an attack SW, can I convince the AI to it on my base instead of its own?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1) I doubt the AI can handle reload, though i'm not that experienced in ai.ini editing

2) AI goes the BuildingTypes list from top down to bottom and builds what it can build. Then restarts from top again when it reached the end of the list.
So to give the AI a building that it immediately builds, you have to place this building far on top of the BuildingTypes list (but note that changing the list, you also have to edit ai.ini and change the indexes of the buildings used in the scripts e.g.131072 for the first building in the list)

Give the building TechLevel=11 and AIBuildThis=yes, then the human player can't build it and the AI ignores the TechLevel and builds it anyway.
Though keep in mind that the AI will also build multiple buildings of this type and IIRC the AI ignores BuildLimit too. But you can test what happens with BuildLimit=1. Maybe the AI does regard it.

3) HunterSeeker can be also a normal unit like MMKII. It's only limit is a VehicleType, but a normal controllable vehicle can be given to the player via this weapon too.

The Type key on the SW basically defines what it does. But there are indeed some hardcoded logics bound to the IDs. e.g. MultiSpecial is hardcoded to be used for the ICBM Powerup.

Not sure if you can do such a drastic change as turning a FirestormSW into a MultiSpecial. I would guess it is possible, when all keys are changed correctly. But the values used on the Type and Action keys are unique, so you can't simply give 2 SWs the same Types and Actions. This doesn't work and only the first SW in the list will get the logic. The other one is messed up. (see the superweapon research in the research forum)

AI behaviour is hardcoded and the AI is too dumb to notice that the droppod suddenly changed into an offensive weapon. Thus it will kill itself with it.

Public SHPs

Tools

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. AI scripts doesn't help there.

2. AIBuildThis typically builds one building. There is logic to build more for cases like power
plants, refinery, helipad or base defenses. AI wall building is associated with base defenses
if it is switched on.

TechLevel of -1/11 or BuildLimit=0 will disable it for human player. Additionally Prerequisite
could also be tuned. AI doesn't obey TechLevel, BuildLimit or Prerequisite for TS.

AI is known to act strangely on low power cases, so keep Power= 0 or positive for those
buildings if you make AI build them before power plants.

3. AI drop pods come in or around its base only, with its hardcoded 2 infantry types even if
a side does not have prereq to produce them. And hunter seeker SW can take out targets
that are outside the map area also.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
TechLevel of -1/11 or BuildLimit=0 will disable it for human player. Additionally Prerequisite
could also be tuned. AI doesn't obey TechLevel, BuildLimit or Prerequisite for TS.

The AI actually doesn't ignore TechLevel (or the AI would build a full base when you play on Tech Level 1); it only interprets TechLevel=-1 as TechLevel=1. TechLevel=11 will also make the AI unable to build the structure, unless this structure has been specified after one of the Buildxxx= keys in the [AI] section (such as BuildBarracks= for example).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bittah Commander for correcting my forgetfulness. On AI TechLevel, what applies
for units, I have mistakenly extended it for buildings as well.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
TechLevel=11 will also make the AI unable to build the structure, unless this structure has been specified after one of the Buildxxx= keys in the [AI] section (such as BuildBarracks= for example).

If TechLevel=11 is given, AI won't build it even if it is given in Buildxxx= keys under [AI] section.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're right, my bad. I made a mistake when I tested this earlier.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2) I would like to force the AI to build some buildings immediately after deploying the MCV (before the power plants). These buildings, however, should be unbuildable by human players. How could I achieve this? (Currently I cannot understand AI base building in all its depth.)

Tested it to understand your question.

AI is programmed/hardcoded to build the first power plant immediately after deploying the
MCV. It does that by reading the entry in BuildPower= under [AI] section even if there is no
AIBuildThis on that power plant and it is defined later in [BuildingTypes] or its TechLevel is 11.
If you do not define BuildPower= entry for an AI playable side, then the game crashes. And
the entry in BuildPower= is also used by the AI in power shortage scenario, to build more.

@Bittah Commander: Got the reason for your assumption that BuildXYZ overrides TechLevel=11
which is an exception.

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also did some tests. My best result was that the AI built one building before the power plant. Unfortunately, it was built two cells away from the conyard even through it had Adjacent=0. I thought that the AI at least obey Adjacent... Because of this, my true target became unreachable.
Originally, I read this topic and I thought that maybe conyard walling can be emulated if the AI is forced to build sixteen 1×1 buildings next to its conyard. That is why I tried to force it to build BaseNormal=no, Adjacent=0 buildings before the power plant (so all of them would be around the only available BaseNormal=yes building, the conyard).

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The AI ignores Adjacent= and instead uses only AIBaseSpacing=.

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some game.exe questions (I use TFD game.exe)

Starting from offset 0x00311ba0 (?), there is a list of the veteran/elite abilities (CRUSHER, GUARD_AREA, TIBERIUM_HEAL, FEARLESS, SENSORS, RADAR_INVISIBLE, EXPLODES, SELF_HEAL, VEIN_PROOF, TIBERIUM_PROOF, CLOAK, SIGHT, FIREPOWER, STRONGER, FASTER). Rules.ini mentions other three veteran/elite bonuses (ROF, C4, and SCATTER). Usually, what is not in game.exe is not working (like IsCanine, ShipYard etc.), but C4 as a veteran/elite bonus works.

Starting from offset 0x00307b5c (?), there is a list of particle/particlesystem BehavesLike options (WeakGas, Web, Railgun, Spark, Fire, Smoke). BehavesLike=Gas is missing, however it is also valid as far as I know.

Could someone explain me how this is possible?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rules.ini mentions other three veteran/elite bonuses (ROF, C4, and SCATTER). Usually, what is not in game.exe is not working (like IsCanine, ShipYard etc.), but C4 as a veteran/elite bonus works.

ROF, C4 and SCATTER already exist in other parts of Game.exe (ROF is a key used by weapons, while C4 is used by infantry, while SCATTER is a synchronized game "event"), and there's no need for the same string to exist twice in the exe (in the code the single string is then just referenced multiple times).

Starting from offset 0x00307b5c (?), there is a list of particle/particlesystem BehavesLike options (WeakGas, Web, Railgun, Spark, Fire, Smoke). BehavesLike=Gas is missing, however it is also valid as far as I know.

"Gas" also exists in another location in Game.exe. Search for "mpstats.txt" and you should find it (I'm looking at the DTA exe so the offsets could be different for you).

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your fast answer!

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SCATTER is the unit scatter game event. Which is activated by pressing the scatter hotkey (default 'x' key).

Iran
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberium and veinholes probably don't work as they need to be VeinholeMonsterClass and TiberiumClass, and you're spawning them as overlay.

ExperimenterChemist
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to create a building which cloaks every unit around it, regardless of their owners? I preplaced a Special owned cloak generator on the map because Special is allied with everyone, but it did not work. (I saw the cloaked Special building on the map, but it cloaked neither me, nor my AI enemy.)

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon