Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
SC2 SHPs for download
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [69 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject:  SC2 SHPs for download Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I talked with Banshee so here is the download you want.

[ZerglingSequence]
Ready=0,1,1
Guard=0,1,1
Prone=0,1,1
Walk=8,10,10
FireUp=88,8,8
SecondaryFire=88,8,8
Idle1=152,20,0,E
Idle2=201,23,0,S
Die1=245,16,0
Die2=225,20,0
Die3=0,1,1
Die4=0,1,1
Die5=0,1,1
Cheer=276,8,0,E
Panic=8,6,6
Paradrop=284,1,0

[AutoTurSequence]
Ready=0,1,1
Guard=0,1,1
Prone=0,1,1
Walk=8,1,1
FireUp=8,13,13
Idle1=112,32,0,NW
Idle2=144,24,0,E
Die1=86,15,0
Die2=101,15,0
Die3=0,1,1
Die4=0,1,1
Die5=0,1,1
Cheer=0,1,0,NW
Panic=0,1,1

[ULTRALISK] ; Terror Drone
Voxel=no
Remapable=yes
Cameo=DRONICON
PrimaryFireFLH=100,50,400
WalkFrames=15
StartFiringFrame=120
FiringFrames=10
StartStandFrame=200
StandingFrames=1
Facings=8

[COLOSSUS]
Voxel=no
Remapable=yes
Cameo=TITANICON
PrimaryFireFLH=25,100,550
Facings=8
WalkFrames=10;22
UseTurretShadow=yes

[MarauderSequence]
Ready=0,1,1
Guard=0,1,1
Prone=0,1,1
Walk=8,9,9
FireUp=113,5,5
SecondaryFire=113,5,5
Idle1=80,18,0,E
Idle2=98,15,0,S
Die1=153,25,0
Die2=179,18,0
Die3=0,1,1
Die4=0,1,1
Die5=0,1,1
Cheer=0,1,0,NW
Panic=0,1,1

Last edited by kenosis on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Colossus
-needs standing frames and maybe should even get a deathanim.
-canvas should be optimized and reduced to 260x260

Zergling
-shadow frames use pixel with colors other than #1 (game renders as shadow anyway; though not that clean SHP job this way)
-canvas needs to be optimized (can be reduced from 300x300 down to only 90x90! No need to let the game allocate 720.000 byte for a single frame when 64800 byte do the job too)

autotur and ultralisk need optimized canvas

All SHPs need some correct lighting !
Right now they have no lighting at all and only use textures with some lighted/shadowed areas, so it looks like the sun is following the turning unit. This doesn't fit to RA2/TS.

Now that you see how these units are done, you should consider creating your own ones from scratch. Then you can release them without having to fear copyright issues.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You sure that Blizzard won't take down these files? Cause they are a strict conversion from a game.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty sure they won't last long here. I'm actually astonished that Banshee risks them having here. With PPM being on a german server and thus under german jurisdiction, copyright lawsuits can become quite expensive.

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Swiss. Dobby is in Switzerland AFAIK.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, realized meanwhile. Revora is Swiss, but the hosts are provided via Icetex.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
G12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You wouldnt have shps for SC1 instead?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Download SC1 modding tools, extract the images from your SC1 disc and convert them to SHP yourself. Much easier than rendering the 3D assets from SC2.

Public SHPs

Tools

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Extracting the SC1 assets are kinda hard now, more so with most of the sites hosting the more better tools shutting down since the games pretty old.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I want to know how you comment the 2 hydras

hydra.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.21 KB
 Viewed:  22640 Time(s)

hydra.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

left one better than the right
Not sure if the left one does actually have a light source or if it's only a drastically increased contrast on the texture.
But it's still missing selfshadowing on the left one. The head should shadow parts of the body below it. Though it's hard to tell since the textures themselves have already bright reflection and dark shadow spots.

Also hard to tell if lighting is correct when facing SW. Let them face south to see it better.

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The left one uses my own template and the right one uses LKOFoundations.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Show me your material and mesh setups. It's obvious that one of these is wrong.

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did not change anything.

Note: LKOFoundation's shadow caster angle is not suitable for RA2.

Desktop.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Desktop.rar
 Filesize:  2.11 MB
 Downloaded:  669 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you mean with angle the height, this can be correct. In TS and even more RA2 do some SHPs have longer/shorter shadows than they should (like a lower/higher standing sun just for shadow casting)
But both TS and RA2 have the sun at the same position, exactly southwest. I know that some RA2 objects do have a shadow from a sun which is more west than southwest, but these are exceptions IIRC and not the majority.

Screenshots please. Can't open your 3dsmax file if they aren't saved as version 6 or 9.

Another simple and effective test. Render a unit without any texture. Just the plain default 3dsmax mesh color. Then it's easy to tell if the material or the lighting has issues.

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think screenshot would work since you cannot read chinese.

No extra settings on texture. I just drag-drop the PSD file on the model.

box.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.75 KB
 Viewed:  22574 Time(s)

box.png

box.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  347.4 KB
 Viewed:  22575 Time(s)

box.png

lko.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.88 KB

lko.png

kenosis.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  345.4 KB

kenosis.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your setup looks good. Nice ambient occlusion you've added (maybe a tad too strong which makes bottom sides a tad too dark). My old foundation example is indeed a bit outdated in this case.

kenosis wrote:
I don't think screenshot would work since you cannot read chinese.

np, i can compare the checkboxes (i assume they are still on the same place as 3dsmax 9) Wink

The mesh setup looks correct. All necessary checkboxes under "Rendering Control" are active.
"Receive Shadows", "Cast Shadows" and "Apply Atmospherics" are necessary to be on, and they are on.

kenosis wrote:
No extra settings on texture. I just drag-drop the PSD file on the model.

But here lies the problem.
Your material has 0 on the "Specular Level" set. (the field right below the 3 colors Ambient, Diffuse, Specular)
Thus there are no highlights/reflections which results in a very matte surface.
Set at least 25, for a carapace like the zergs armor i would even go up to 75 which is almost metallic shiny.
Due to the matte texture, the lighting isn't turning out as good as it could.

Also try to put a copy (you can set "instance of original") of the same texture into the bumpmap. This can do wonders in detail too.

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it is just how I want them to be. Darker or brighter, not important but just need all converted share the same brightness.
I personally don't like shiny zergs. They should be just biological flesh.

2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.54 KB
 Viewed:  22630 Time(s)

2.png

Last edited by kenosis on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Set the specular color to a bright flesh color (e.g. yellow/orange) and not the default white. This should improve things.
Also raise the "Glossiness" (10 in your setting right below the Specular Level). A higher value makes the reflections smaller and sharper. Something like 25 to 50 could work.

But yes, such a bright reflection looks bad.

It's strange that the units northern half (right side from the units point of view) of the skull is darker than the southern half (left side from the units point of view). According to your shadows, it should be actually vice versa (right side of skull facing towards sun should be brighter than left half that faces away from sun).
Are sun and shadow casting light not on the same position?

Maybe i'm just not used to your lighting setup with the sun in west (not southwest) and the shadows going straight east (not northeast).

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks like shadows going straight east  but actually not. Since it should have the same shadow angle like the tesla coil, it means the left side should be brighter than the right side as the sun is on the left side.

The lighting is not SO important. Converting them into SHP already causes quality loses. The few difference will be wiped in shp builder.

4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.89 KB
 Viewed:  22611 Time(s)

4.png

3.png
 Description:
shadow angle
 Filesize:  27.96 KB
 Viewed:  22611 Time(s)

3.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's the "extra light" coming from the completely wrong side. This adds the unexpected highlights.
All light sources should be at the same place (except maybe an "ambient"-only light source which has no direction and makes the scene in general brighter)

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No visual difference.

5.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.25 KB
 Viewed:  22493 Time(s)

5.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

of course. you only changed the type but not the location (in this case with the object close and within the directional and omni lights ranges, there is no big difference)
Move the extra light to the shadow caster!

It's illogical and unrealistic to have the main light source on a different place than the main shadow caster.

Can you show screeshots of the shadow casting light and the extra light settings?

5_183.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  88 KB
 Viewed:  22459 Time(s)

5_183.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just don't need such contrast.

6.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.03 KB
 Viewed:  22459 Time(s)

6.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's because your lights aren't at the correct direct southwest location but more west than southwest.
In your case move it on the black (i think x-axis) line on the grid.

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

direct southwest shadow caster is not right for RA2.
For TS, maybe yes, but for RA2, no.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then use the shadow caster only for the shadows on the ground, not the inner object selfshadowing (i.e., turn it only on when you render the shadow frames). If you look at buildings, their inner shadowing is still from direct southwest (trees, rocks, cliffs, terrain, civil buildings, almost everything is following this light setup).
However, your current solution with the main light source on the completely wrong position is not doing things better.

You can also play around by using 3 light sources
-one for the RA2 shadow direction
-one for the correct lighting (the directional light)
-one to raise slightly the ambient light, so the darkest parts can't get too dark (omni light with Ambient only and only a small Multiplier like 0.25)

5_183.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.2 KB
 Viewed:  22444 Time(s)

5_183.png

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still no big difference for human eye at 40cm away. Also the tail is too dark.
Can you tell which hydra uses what lighting?
One is what you suggested. Another is simply the hydra with the strong contrast.

Not important what light you use I think. The only important is the box render effect.

6.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.43 KB
 Viewed:  22437 Time(s)

6.png

Gangster
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think a texture is dark itself. Details on body and tail just cant be seen, and rendes black. I would do in Diffuse map - Output - RGB Level  to  1.2. Also Map Self-Illumination could be set 5-10.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
Can you tell which hydra uses what lighting?

as said before, let them face south. When you let them face southwest, you can't really tell if the lighting is right, because you only see one side of the unit.
But when facing south, you can see if the right arm is correctly shadowed by the body due to the southwest sun. So you can see if right and left side of the unit have a different brightness.

When the unit faces south and you can mirror it along the vertical axis without noticing any difference between left and right side of the unit, you know your lighting is messed up. (see attachment)
And in your case all units look almost the same when you mirror them, like there is special no light direction.

kenosis wrote:
Not important what light you use I think. The only important is the box render effect.

It is important when the unit rotates and you get a much better estimation of the lights position.

If you don't like the dark parts then also play around with the ambient light multiplier.

However, your lighting with orthogonal directed lights is an absolute no-go.
Make all lights come from the same correct side, then do minor adjustments to darkness/brightness with an ambient light.

Can you upload one of these units (hydralisk) as 3ds (doesn't needs animations or textures)? Just would like to test/show lighting myself.

mirrorlighttest.png
 Description:
see, no difference between left and right side. Both have the same brightness, thus wrong or no lighting.
 Filesize:  34.34 KB
 Viewed:  22324 Time(s)

mirrorlighttest.png

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So what ?
Maybe the ultralisk has something wrong, I'll check later but the hydralisk is not messed up

6.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.98 KB
 Viewed:  22307 Time(s)

6.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

which setup is this? yours with the directional light in the bottom right?
Looks ok, but the difference between lit and shadowed side could be a bit stronger. Though it could be also the texture with its own lighting, with a bright to dark gradient from top to bottom.

I would also expect a much brighter spot on the left side of the head, but i guess you set the specular level back to 0 again.

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not important. I don't like bright zerg or strong contrast. I can add contrast by simply moving the ambient light but I will not.
Just about personal taste.

6.png
 Description:
No strong contrast I'd say
 Filesize:  1.85 KB
 Viewed:  22290 Time(s)

6.png

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[MUTALISK] ; Mutalisk Fighter
Cameo=MUTAICON
PrimaryFireFLH=25,0,0
Rotates=yes
Shadow=yes
Voxel=no
UseTurretShadow=yes
Facings=8
StartStandFrame=0
StandFrames=20
StartWalkFrame=0
WalkFrames=20

[RoachSequence]
Ready=0,1,1
Guard=0,1,1
Prone=0,1,1
Walk=8,7,7
FireUp=64,10,10
SecondaryFire=200,7,7
Idle1=256,21,0,E
Idle2=277,17,0,S
Die2=294,25,0
Die1=319,24,0
Die3=0,1,1
Die4=0,1,1
Die5=0,1,1
Cheer=276,8,0,E
Panic=8,7,7
Paradrop=0,1,0

[HydraliskSequence]
Ready=0,1,1
Guard=0,1,1
Prone=0,1,1
Walk=8,8,8
FireUp=72,8,8
SecondaryFire=136,10,10
Idle1=216,31,0,SE
Idle2=243,31,0,E
Die2=278,23,0
Die1=301,16,0
Die3=0,1,1
Die4=0,1,1
Die5=0,1,1
Cheer=276,8,0,E
Panic=8,8,8
Paradrop=0,1,0

[BanelingSequence]
Ready=0,1,1
Guard=0,1,1
Prone=0,1,1
Walk=8,10,10
FireUp=0,1,1
SecondaryFire=0,1,1
Idle1=88,21,0,S
Idle2=109,16,0,E
Die2=3,1,0
Die1=5,1,0
Die3=0,1,1
Die4=0,1,1
Die5=0,1,1
Cheer=276,8,0,E
Panic=8,10,10
Paradrop=0,1,0

aaa.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.22 KB
 Viewed:  22191 Time(s)

aaa.png

mutalisk.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mutalisk.shp
 Filesize:  417.66 KB
 Downloaded:  400 Time(s)

roach.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  roach.shp
 Filesize:  467.42 KB
 Downloaded:  387 Time(s)

hydralisk.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  hydralisk.shp
 Filesize:  703.78 KB
 Downloaded:  413 Time(s)

baneling.shp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  baneling.shp
 Filesize:  105.81 KB
 Downloaded:  377 Time(s)

Last edited by kenosis on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
Not important. I don't like bright zerg or strong contrast. I can add contrast by simply moving the ambient light but I will not.
Just about personal taste.

So you compare your work with the worst art there is?
Ok, then keep using a wrong lighting and bad materials. I tried to help.
Too bad, i saw some potential.

Public SHPs

Tools

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with LKO, it seemed like it could have ended up usable, but incorrect shading and such ruin the feel of it.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The fact is I am not planning any TC mod so they should fit RA2 environment. However you think RA2 is wrong, strong contrasted ones will look strange since I won't remake the templates, civilian buildings and trees. Lighting would better accord with RA2.

If we talk about TC, it is another thing.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yours does not fit to RA2. Is it so hard to see? Your SHPs look out of place in RA2.
It's not about contrast, it's because the light is wrong. RA2 does not has 3 Suns in different places like your SHPs.

Take the Squid for example. Look how it has reflections and not only a matte, plain even lighted texture like your units.
Look at buildings, how they have a lighted and shadowed side. Not like your units which you can mirror and they still look the same.

Look at the weather control building how the metallic dome has a reflection on the left side. Your lighting would put it on the opposite side, thus wrong.

Look at the soviet barracks, how the figure is shaded on the right side and how dark it can get. Your setup would make it look even brighter on the right than the left side.

Look at the dome/ball on the Iron Curtain building. It has a reflective texture with a complete reflection of the sky, showing you exactly the suns position as a small bright spot. Try to create a sphere with such a metallic reflection and notice how wrong your lighting setup is.

Look at the Nuclear missile (ngmisl_g.shp) how it has a bright left and shadowed right side. How the tip has an even brighter reflection on the left.
This is actually such a simple shape, you should recreate the missile as exact as possible. Then compare your Missile with this one and you see how messed up your lighting is.

Public SHPs

Tools

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If we're talking of it blending with the Vanilla Art its definitely very different. The Zerg have more dull colors though and not enough sheen on them.

Baneling & Roach just look almost like blobs of darkness.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^exactly Noodles. I don't know why he doesn't sees this.

attached another example

LightShadow.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.44 KB
 Viewed:  22080 Time(s)

LightShadow.png

Public SHPs

Tools

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WW messed up the lighting final infantry,looks like they screwed up the scene lighting and instead of fixing it said ztype it and re-rendered everything under it, the properly lit infantry was in the alpha and beta, the cow is a beta leftover

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is what the roach is like under EXTREME graphic quality.

Quote:
Almost like blobs of darkness.

Quote:
I don't know why he doesn't sees this.

Of course I know lighting should be like in the box test.

If the box already has a right lighting, why still bitch about the actual place of lights? If a box in the scene has the right lighting, the hydralisk should also do.

Quote:

which setup is this? yours with the directional light in the bottom right?
Looks ok, but the difference between lit and shadowed side could be a bit stronger.

So .............
It is SHP Builder. While the render output looks ok, the conversion ruins the difference in lighting. So should have some strong contrast when making the render.

baneling.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.23 KB
 Viewed:  22036 Time(s)

baneling.png

roach.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.52 KB
 Viewed:  22039 Time(s)

roach.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
Quote:
I don't know why he doesn't sees this.

Of course I know lighting should be like in the box test.

If the box already has a right lighting, why still bitch about the actual place of lights? If a box in the scene has the right lighting, the hydralisk should also do.

The box is a matte plain colored thing. Try a metallic material on the box or better a metallic sphere.

Your ambient lighting might be fitting (which is what you see on the box), but not the specular, diffuse and shadowed one. (specular, diffuse and shadow play a bigger role when using textures and correct set materials. No default matte plastic stuff. Shadow=unit self shadowing, not the single colored one on the ground)
So you have 1 of 4 lighting aspects correct. In other words 3 of 4 lighting aspects are wrong.

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK. Screw it. I give up.
Even when I added normal and specular map it doesn't make a big difference. Adding specular level only makes it a bit blue.

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.57 KB
 Viewed:  22005 Time(s)

1.png

hydra.rar
 Description:
3DS, TEXTURE

Download
 Filename:  hydra.rar
 Filesize:  3.62 MB
 Downloaded:  140 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Watch a few lighting and texturing tutorials if these basics are unknown.

Specular map: the texture defines the places on which specular reflections can appear and at which strength. The brightness of the texture defines the max strength of the specular level on this place. This of course also needs a higher Specular level set than 0.
Thus for example a pure black texture would add no bright spots at all, even if you have Specular level=100.

Just by looking at the material preview sphere in your max it is obvious that your material is set up bad. There are no reflections, no light and shadow influences. Just a plain matte colored circle. So any light source in your scene isn't affecting this material at all. The material looks the same in shadow and in lit areas.

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK. Finally I figured out what was wrong.
It is nothing about texture setting or specular. My max has "gamma & lut correction" enabled. Don't remember when I enabled it but that's the problem.

render 1 and 4 are normal renders.
2,3 are my renders with "gamma & lut correction".

Fine. Now you can stop bitching about self-shadowing or other settings. You all didn't get the point.

4.jpg
 Description:
Someone else's render, with specular
 Filesize:  5.99 KB
 Viewed:  21877 Time(s)

4.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
my render, with specular
 Filesize:  5 KB

3.jpg

2.jpg
 Description:
my render
 Filesize:  4.82 KB

2.jpg

1.jpg
 Description:
Someone else's render
 Filesize:  5.25 KB

1.jpg

Last edited by kenosis on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is the best, even if lighting is a tad too strong. But at least you see that this is done with only 1 light source, not 3 from different directions.
Half the specular level and add a weak Ambient only light to make the shadowed areas a tad brighter (not pure black) and you have a perfect RA2 lighting.
is ok too, but needs some specular.

is ok, but the side facing away from the sun is not dark enough. Shadow is too weak.
this just sucks

Public SHPs

Tools

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No.3 looks only like as if it is frozen and is VERY BAD. Before today's discovery all my efforts to add specular ended up like that.
I checked the w3x things. They don't have gamma & lut correction enabled so the problem is only with SC2 stuff.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!