Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Map issues (All)
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:  Map issues (All)
Subject description: Overlay crash
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not sure if you guys know this already but I'm going to bring it up.

Game play: Enhanced
The overlay crash (when 2 separate tile sets occupy the same game space)
I often encounter this problem with maps that have already built structures that when destroyed spawn the scrap metal resource. when these structures are in close proximity they often blanket the immediate area with this stuff.

The problem is that when map inserted structures are destroyed (and to close to each other) they overlay the same spaces with scrap metal causing the game to crash. I have seen this kind of error before and the easiest way to correct this issue is to ensure that those structures have enough free space around them so they can produce their spawn.

Also taking into account that some of these structures are close to other debris and resources those should be removed entirely otherwise there is a greater chance to get this crash.

Another way to fix this issue is to only allow scrap metal spawns to occupy the space the previous building occupied thus preventing this issue all together.

Normally the game would force those spawns to a free tile or stack but this is in the circumstance that there are no free tiles and the game forces the spawn to occupy the same space.

Main entities that I have discovered cause this crash:
-Ruined structures (when destroyed)
-Pre inserted vehicles
-Already stacked resources or tiles due to mapping error (tree or rock, and scrap metal all on one space)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i can't really follow you
what do you mean with "map inserted structure"? Buildings placed on the map with map editor or new buildings added to the map in the ini code?

I know that the game crashes when 2 buildings are overlapping each other with their foundations and one of the buildings is destroyed. But i'm pretty sure all official DTA maps don't have this issue.

Can you name a map that has the issue you've mentioned and where we can reproduce the crash?

Einhander wrote:
The problem is that when map inserted structures are destroyed (and to close to each other) they overlay the same spaces with scrap metal causing the game to crash. I have seen this kind of error before and the easiest way to correct this issue is to ensure that those structures have enough free space around them so they can produce their spawn.

Doubt that. We're using this logic for a long time and have killed dozens of tight build bases without ever causing a crash. When debris spawn the scrap metal, the game automatically spawns the scrap metal only on free cells.
No free cell -> no tiberium is spawned.

Einhander wrote:
Also taking into account that some of these structures are close to other debris and resources those should be removed entirely otherwise there is a greater chance to get this crash.

I'm sure this is no problem. Spawned tiberium/scrap metal is automatically only placed on free tiles. If there is no free tile then nothing is spawned.

Einhander wrote:
Another way to fix this issue is to only allow scrap metal spawns to occupy the space the previous building occupied thus preventing this issue all together.

not possible. buildings play explosions-> explosions create debris-> debris spawn tiberium randomly around their point of impact which is the same cell as the explosion anim. The random placement around the impact means also around the exploding building.

Einhander wrote:
Normally the game would force those spawns to a free tile or stack but this is in the circumstance that there are no free tiles and the game forces the spawn to occupy the same space.

No, spawned tiberium does not stack to bigger tiles. Either the cell is free and a single stage 1 patch of tiberium is spawned or nothing is spawned.

Einhander wrote:

Main entities that I have discovered cause this crash:
-Ruined structures (when destroyed)
-Pre inserted vehicles
-Already stacked resources or tiles due to mapping error (tree or rock, and scrap metal all on one space)

-never noticed any problem with ruined structures and i destroyed plenty
-what is a pre inseerted vehicle? One placed on the map? When is this causing a crash? I killed many civilian cars, trucks and trains and it never crashed.
-tiberium/scrap metal under a tree is no problem at all, it grows there even in vanilla TS. (can you name a map/place where it crashes for you)

If you experience constant crashes, then i'm quite sure it has a different reason. Next time also upload the except.txt so we can check which function crashed.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Einhander
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am referring to all structures not placed by the player.(excluding ai structure placement).

Maps I have encountered this on thus far are:
-Shifted War Areas
-Perilous Islands (Naval)
-Black Forest

I am still trying other maps to see if it is map only or game base. So far it does not seem to be any one particular map.

Quote:
"Doubt that. We're using this logic for a long time and have killed dozens of tight build bases without ever causing a crash. When debris spawn the scrap metal, the game automatically spawns the scrap metal only on free cells.
No free cell -> no tiberium is spawned."

I have observed multiple times resources spawning on used tiles (trees, buildings. rocks, cliffs, and shorelines)

Quote:
"I'm sure this is no problem. Spawned tiberium/scrap metal is automatically only placed on free tiles. If there is no free tile then nothing is spawned."

I have observed tiberium and ore spawing on used tiles, and this is actually a constant on all maps I have played so far.

Quote:
"Not possible. buildings play explosions-> explosions create debris-> debris spawn tiberium randomly around their point of impact which is the same cell as the explosion anim. The random placement around the impact means also around the exploding building."

I am agree that is what happens with the explosions I am only identifying a fault.

Quote:
"No, spawned tiberium does not stack to bigger tiles. Either the cell is free and a single stage 1 patch of tiberium is spawned or nothing is spawned."

I find this statement to be false otherwise I would not encounter frozen tiberium tiles that when harvested remain.

Quote:
"-never noticed any problem with ruined structures and i destroyed plenty
-what is a pre inseerted vehicle? One placed on the map? When is this causing a crash? I killed many civilian cars, trucks and trains and it never crashed.
-tiberium/scrap metal under a tree is no problem at all, it grows there even in vanilla TS. (can you name a map/place where it crashes for you)"

I have replicated the crash multiple times with the structures already in the level. The vehicles are not so much an issue but when placed next to those structures they exasperate the issue.

Also for the record I do not experience frequent crashes, I make it a point to seek out possible bugs and issues.

After I have reliably replicated the crash 3 more times I will upload the requested files with a report on how to replicate the crash.

In the map Shifted War Areas spawn point 6 if you destroy the ruined refinery then the silo next to it you crash. (Tested 8 times) If the silo is destroyed before the Refinery no crash, If both structures are destroyed at the same time this will result in a crash.

EXCEPT.TXT
 Description:
Requested file.

Download
 Filename:  EXCEPT.TXT
 Filesize:  20.75 KB
 Downloaded:  19 Time(s)

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Einhander wrote:
I find this statement to be false otherwise I would not encounter frozen tiberium tiles that when harvested remain.

This is actually only a random graphical issue. Scroll away so that the tile with the "frozen" tiberium overlay isn't visible and then scroll back so you see the tile again. The tiberium will be gone (assuming it was actually harvested entirely and not only partially). I personally see this in pretty much every match.

We'll test the issue in Shifted War Areas and see if we can reproduce the crash. With hundreds of stable DTA games I can say that what you're saying doesn't generally happen, otherwise DTA would crash a lot more often since tight bases are something encountered in almost every game.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Einhander wrote:
In the map Shifted War Areas spawn point 6 if you destroy the ruined refinery then the silo next to it you crash. (Tested 8 times) If the silo is destroyed before the Refinery no crash, If both structures are destroyed at the same time this will result in a crash.

I've just confirmed this crash, although the actual cause of this crash is actually that the foundations of the ruined refinery and silo overlap on a cell and (like LKO mentioned above) this is a known cause of crashes.

Thanks for making me aware of the issue on that map however; I now slightly moved the silo so that it no longer overlaps with the refinery and confirmed that the crash indeed no longer happens, so this'll be fixed in DTA's next update Smile

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shifted War Areas does indeed have buildings placed overlapping each other. A bit sloppy mapping but nothing that can't be fixed.
Also placing tiberium under tiberium trees and other trees is not advised, yet still done by some of the newer mappers. We usually fix this when we see it.

Einhander wrote:
I have observed multiple times resources spawning on used tiles (trees, buildings. rocks, cliffs, and shorelines)

Tiberium is an overlay and overlays can only spawn on free (passable) cells and under terraintypes like trees or rocks.
It is absolutely impossible that it spawns under a building. (Some mappers just like to place some tib under a building for some nice bonus when the building is destroyed, but i never noticed any crash due to this)

However, overlays on the same cell as terraintypes is indeed no problem at all. You just can't harvest it. But it doesn't cause any crashes or other issues. TS has this for decades without ever causing any nasty side effects.
I had lots of maps where a blue tibfield was under a burning tree and thus causing constant explosions (the fire damaging the blue tib which then exploded)

Cliffs are impassable and tiberium can't spawn there. Make a screenshot next time so we can check what's wrong. It can be only a cliff with passable terrain.

shores are passable and thus allow tiberium to be spawned on these passable cells.

Einhander wrote:
Quote:
"Not possible. buildings play explosions-> explosions create debris-> debris spawn tiberium randomly around their point of impact which is the same cell as the explosion anim. The random placement around the impact means also around the exploding building."

I am agree that is what happens with the explosions I am only identifying a fault.

Not a fault. It's a feature. It's the shockwave of the explosions which lets the debris fly a bit Wink

Einhander wrote:
Quote:
"No, spawned tiberium does not stack to bigger tiles. Either the cell is free and a single stage 1 patch of tiberium is spawned or nothing is spawned."

What you call frozen is an empty cell where the engine forgot to update the image and remove the tiberium image. The overlay is gone but the image is still shown. Scrolling away and back (or pressing esc for menu and going back) updates the screen and removes old images.
I'm afraid nothing can be done against these graphical issues.
But again, this is only graphical glitch and does not cause any other harm. The cell is really empty and the tiberium is away.

Einhander wrote:

That's indeed a bad mistake of the mapper. But it's not a general problem of ruined buildings. It's just these 2 buildings being placed bad and thus causing crashes in this special case.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum