Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm
All times are UTC + 0
TMP file format
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject:  TMP file format Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need infos about the tmp file format which is used on .tem/.sno files. Are there any sources/documents available?

I need especially the location of the radar color of each cell in the tmp file.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check Banshee's first post here. Somewhat confusing thanks to Banshee using 'sections' and 'lines' as unit of measure for offsets etc. but it's pretty easy to convert those to bytes. That's the only piece of information on the subject I could find for now, I remember seeing it explained somewhere else as well but can't remember where Confused.

I don't think you're just wanting to change radar color of few tiles, are you? I mean, IcySon's TMP Builder can do that, but manually editing the colors with it especially for a large amount of files can be bit cumbersome.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the infos GD and Starkku Smile
These should be enough to finish the tool.

Starkku wrote:
I don't think you're just wanting to change radar color of few tiles, are you?

Correct. It's for a small tool to edit thousands of files in one operation. Like the situation we currently face in TI, where we want the complete radar map reorganized.

RadarColorizer.png
 Description:
all the functionality to group tmp files, set the groups color and save the groups etc works. It just now needs the actual tmp-editing routine to be finish
 Filesize:  8.71 KB
 Viewed:  10304 Time(s)

RadarColorizer.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, excellent progress. Very Happy

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need some help with the code
Code:
void Ctmp_ts_file::get_rect(int& x, int& y, int& cx, int& cy) const
{
    x = INT_MAX;
    y = INT_MAX;
    cx = INT_MIN;
    cy = INT_MIN;
    for (int i = 0; i < get_c_tiles(); i++)
    {
        if (get_index()[i])
        {
            int x_t = get_x(i);
            int y_t = get_y(i);
            int x2_t = x_t + 48;
            int y2_t = y_t + 24;
            if (has_extra_graphics(i))
            {
                int y_t_extra = get_y_extra(i);
                int y2_t_extra = y_t_extra + get_cy_extra(i);
                if (y_t_extra <y> cy)
                    cy = y2_t_extra;
            }
            if (x_t <x> cx)
                cx = x2_t;
            if (y_t <y> cy)
                cy = y2_t;
        }
    }
    cx -= x;
    cy -= y;
}

What does "if (get_index()[i])" do or how does that work?
get_index() returns a pointer and not a boolean and [i] actually needs afaik an underlying array/list and not a pointer to work. So how can this work?
This array index on a pointer doesn't makes any sense to me.

Even if there would be an underlying array, get_index would still return only an address and i don't see any way how this can be used as a boolean expression in the "if()" statement.

If someone can explain the above code in text and how it measures the TMP file it would be really helpful.

Public SHPs

Tools

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XCC code is a nightmare, isn't it? #Tongue

Ok, get rect will probably get the 'bounding rectangle' of your image. So, he starts by initializing the rectangle (x,y,cx,cy) with some absurd value. Then, for each tile, if the tile has data, (x_t, y_t) are the initial position of the tile while the end of the rectangle is (x_t + 48, y_t + 24). If the tile has extra graphics, it uses an extra operator to compare the y from the extra graphics with the cy to figure out if the y from the extra graphics replace it or not. And, then, this operator is used to compare if the x2_t and y2_t from the current tile replaces cx and cy. In the end, it deduces x from cx and y from cy. The funciton returns the values from x, y, cx and cy.

I don't know the value of INT_MAX and INT_MIN.

Quote:
get_index() returns a pointer and not a boolean and [i] actually needs afaik an underlying array/list and not a pointer to work. So how can this work?

This is the magic of C/C++. 0 is false and anything different than 0 is true. So, if the data at the address returned by get_index()[i] is 0, then it returns false. I think it just checks if the tile is really valid.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Tell me about it. Damn. #Mad

Thank you for the explanation. Smile

Banshee wrote:
I don't know the value of INT_MAX and INT_MIN.

INT_MAX and MIN are constants with the maximum possible integer value.
It somehow works by setting the x and y to the maximum possible positive integer value (2.147.483.647) and the width/height to the max possible negative value (-2.147.483.648). Then it slowly narrows down the bounds during each step while comparing with the current tile in the tmp.
C# has equivalents for these (int.MaxValue and int.MinValue) and since i don't want to use unsafe c++ code, i rewrite the code completely in C# syntax.

Since it's not really calculating the image size but merely laying the bounds slowly around it, maybe i can find something more "intuitive".

Banshee wrote:
This is the magic of C/C++. 0 is false and anything different than 0 is true. So, if the data at the address returned by get_index()[i] is 0, then it returns false. I think it just checks if the tile is really valid.

wow. thanks for the info. What a coding style.
Even if this works, i would still have written something more clear/safe like (get_index[i]!=0).

But respect for Olaf for writing code like that and then having so few "buffer overflows", "index of bounds" and other exceptions.

Public SHPs

Tools

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While you're at it LKO, would you mind looking at the 'Copy as MAP (TS) Preview' function codes in XCC? It always crashes (for me, not sure about everybody else) and maybe you could fix it? Very Happy

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What LKO is doing has nothing to do with XCC Mixer >.>

You are better off asking on the XCC site/forums

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know Mig. I was just wondering that maybe his tool is based on some of the XCC codes, so maybe LKO could help. But if I'm wrong, I appologise. Wink And I'm quite sure there's no one at the XCC site.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry Krow, but i write a new tool and don't fix/modify an existing xcc tool.
I only try to get the tmp image format done, so i can show tmp files in my small tool.

Public SHPs

Tools

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

Banshee wrote:

Even if this works, i would still have written something more clear/safe like (get_index[i]!=0).

And that's what I hate... in C#. That thing is actually pretty useful and I am tempted to create myself an operation overload to recreate it in C#, because this would make my codes easier.

Calling C++ unsafe is IMO stupid, since it's not C++ what is unsafe it's the programmer who wrote the code. And C++ can live without .NET. #Tongue

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

unsafe = possibility to write direct in unallocated memory with all the "unsafe" pointer operations. Wink

When using .NET, the CLR prevents in most cases bad pointer operations that can lead to unexpected results like buffer overflows.

So everything has its pros and cons
C++
-fast (if written correct of course)
-runs without .NET
-prone to cause critical errors due to direct hardware access

C# (.NET)
-slower
-more safe, as code runs on CLR, which provides a "layer" of security (no direct hardware access; except you use p/invoke operations)

Read about using "unsafe code" in .NET languages. Wink

Public SHPs

Tools

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Safe programming is for the weaks Laughing.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@LKO: It was worth the shot. :p

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
unsafe = possibility to write direct in unallocated memory with all the "unsafe" pointer operations. Wink

When using .NET, the CLR prevents in most cases bad pointer operations that can lead to unexpected results like buffer overflows.

So everything has its pros and cons
C++
-fast (if written correct of course)
-runs without .NET
-prone to cause critical errors due to direct hardware access

C# (.NET)
-slower
-more safe, as code runs on CLR, which provides a "layer" of security (no direct hardware access; except you use p/invoke operations)

Read about using "unsafe code" in .NET languages. Wink

Well, if C# then references, I don't trust in .NET that it'll make the arrays as simply and followable positioned like ye olde C/C++. And in most cases references can be used like pointers so what? #Tongue

=======================

¥R_M0dd€r
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is true that C#(and Java) is significantly slower than C++, but unless you are going to develop a super strong engine like GTA4, Battlefield 3 or photopshop, you are not going to need C++. For normal programs, that speed boost on C++ isn't noticeable.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, when are we getting this LKO? Very Happy
And will it work with YR's desert terrain? I mean tmps with .des extension.

Olaf van der Spek
Medic

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Banshee wrote:
Tell me about it. Damn. #Mad

You mean you don't know C++ (well) and thus have trouble reading it?
Quote:

Safety is the same and clearity is debatable.
Quote:

But respect for Olaf for writing code like that and then having so few "buffer overflows", "index of bounds" and other exceptions.

C++ doesn't have any such exceptions, so that's easy. :p
That said, C++ isn't C. Modern C++ code can be clean and safe. Of course the developer writing the code matters more than the language used.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The XCC Master Surprised He's alive. Very Happy
Olaf van der Spek wrote:
C++ doesn't have any such exceptions, so that's easy. :p

well, even if the error dialog isn't there, it doesn't mean you don't/can't write/read in/from non-allocated memory. #Tongue

Krow wrote:
So, when are we getting this LKO? Very Happy
And will it work with YR's desert terrain? I mean tmps with .des extension.

Sorry, had a lot to do at work, so no time for further development.
Basically it reads already the necessary values, but i hadn't the time to test and edit the read values.
In theory, it should also work with YR terrain files, as the tmp header tells the tool the size of the tile, so the tool knows where each tile in the tmp starts. But i'm not sure if the radarcolor has the same offset beginning from the tile header as in TS.

Last edited by Lin Kuei Ominae on Fri May 11, 2012 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
You mean you don't know C++ (well) and thus have trouble reading it?

The logic of the code is not documented in a proper way, demanding time from a programmer who is not familiar with XCC code (specially the ones who doesn't know about the file formats that it uses) to understand your code.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I'm actually quite surprised to see that Olaf is still around. So, while you're here O' Great Master of XCC, would you please tell us what's wrong with your Copy as MAP (TS) preview function in the latest XCC Mixer? #Tongue

Last edited by Krow on Sat May 12, 2012 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's always around, on Strike-Team anyhow.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
would you please tell us what's wrong with your Copy as MAP (TS) preview function in the latest XCC Mixer? #Tongue

Yeah, that function seems to malfunction in every version of XCC Mixer after 1.22.
Whenever you use that function it causes XCC Mixer to crash, although occasionally it will still manage to convert an image to map preview just before crashing; sometimes it takes 2 tries, sometimes it takes 5 and sometimes it can take like 10 or more...

I personally downloaded XCC Mixer 1.22 just to create map previews, but it would indeed be a lot more convenient if I'd be able to just use the latest version of XCC Mixer to do that so that I won't need different versions of the program to different things.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^Agreed. It never worked for me though. It crashes, and doesn't generate the text file.

Olaf van der Spek
Medic

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I'm actually quite surprised to see that Olaf is still around. So, while you're here O' Great Master of XCC, would you please tell us what's wrong with your Copy as MAP (TS) preview function in the latest XCC Mixer? #Tongue

Don't know. What's the problem?
Works fine for me. What version are you using?

Olaf van der Spek
Medic

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
^^Agreed. It never worked for me though. It crashes, and doesn't generate the text file.

Why didn't you report the problem?

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used version 1.46.
Olaf van der Spek wrote:

Why didn't you report the problem?
Cause I thought you were gone. Confused Nevermind. I downloaded the latest version which is 1.47 and it works great now. Very Happy

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome Very Happy

I didn't know a new version was released since the XCC Home Page only mentions 1.46.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ditto. Was using 1.46 for a while now too, since i didn't know a newer version is available.

Might be worth a newspost to inform more people that there is a new version.

Public SHPs

Tools

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup. I didn't know it too. Starkku was the one that told me about the latest version, and I think he deserves some credit for giving us that info. Very Happy
The download link is on Olaf's site. And why don't you be a dear LKO and do just that.
The community really ought to know about this. Smile

Olaf van der Spek
Medic

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
Cause I thought you were gone.

You shouldn't be thinking. :p

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry. #Tongue But you're here know and the problem is already fixed with the latest version so all is well. Very Happy
So, got anymore update for XCC Mixer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum