Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:27 am
All times are UTC + 0
C&C: Battlezone
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [55 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject:  C&C: Battlezone
Subject description: also at Revora
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remember that old wireframe-graphics arcade game from the '80s called Battlezone? Ever wonder what it would be like if it were top-down and had more than one tank? Well here's my answer:

There is no storyline; it's all Skirmish/Multiplay. This total conversion has quick and intense gameplay, with retro graphic style. No game exe patches required.

Units/Structures

Gun Tower ($500)
Anti-infantry base defense.

Missile Turret ($800)
Anti-tank and anti-aircraft base defense.

Mine ($100)
Stationary explosive that detonates on contact. Can be placed farther away from your base than the other defensive structures.

Rifleman ($150)
Basic infantry.

Missile Trooper ($300)
Anti-tank and anti-aircraft infantry.

Engineer ($500)
Captures and repairs structures.

APC ($600)
Can transport 5 troops, and is armed with a rapid-fire machine gun.

Tank ($700)
Basic anti-armor unit. Decent against structures and defenses.

Advanced Tank ($1000)
Heavy anti-armor unit. Very effective against base buildings.

Missile ($500)
Hunts down targets on the ground at high speed. Also makes a good scout.

UFO ($900)
Hovering, spinning laser-equipped anti-infantry and anti-air drone. Easily destroyed by Missile Troopers and tanks.

Gunship ($1300)
Fires missiles at tanks and buildings, and mows down infantry with a minigun. Relatively weak armor makes it very susceptible to anti-aircraft fire.

Fighter ($1000)
Fast aircraft whose main purpose is attacking ground units and light defenses.

Bomber ($1400)
The Fighter's big brother; this aircraft can level heavier buildings without problem.

Skirmish Modes

Classic Mode: Only the Tank, Advanced Tank, UFO, Missile, and base structures can be built. No defensive structures.
Standard Mode: Defensive structures, aircraft, and infantry can be built.
Advanced Mode: Advanced weaponry such as Gunships and APCs can be built. Infantry can garrison neutral buildings scattered across specially-made maps.

Screenshots
As you can tell by the following screens, the GUI is still WIP at the moment. All the units are functional.

Here is a short gameplay demo of Battlezone's Advanced Mode. The music playing in it is one of ten custom soundtracks.

Version 0.59 Beta is available! Download Here!

Now on ModDB!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wanna suggest you delete the black parts of the vehicles so they are just wireframes, and do the same to the buildings.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RRRRRRETRO

Simple, and original... AND you know how to use PitchAngle - I like it!

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Saint-X
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TRON anyone? lol, im a fan of graphics but i like this, the only issue id see wit it is those of us who have issues staring at things like this for long periods of time, but im digging this.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HOW BOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS, DR. FALCON?

seriously cool!

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL. Very Happy

Seriously dude, that idea is great, i wanna download it NAO. :3

But yeah, great job, great idea, can't explain in worlds hows that is diferent and original IMO. Razz

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
I wanna suggest you delete the black parts of the vehicles so they are just wireframes, and do the same to the buildings.

Better not,since they would become annoying to the eye,you'd have to kill your eyes to determine the shapes.

-=HelloDave=-
Grenadier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol great idea for a mod and it looks awesome.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heheh, well it was worth a try. Laughing

I think I'll keep the solid tanks, for now at least.

I will be updating this project along with Cold War and YNT on a semi-regular basis. Speaking of updates, the past couple of days I've been cranking out stuff for the above projects.

Now on ModDB!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Cantdrawbutmod
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Next step: Redalert 3D if you can figure those kind of images:

From the graphics of this mod,it shouldn't be that hard to go into that,no?

I have absolutely no idea if it's just a joke,or if there really is a possibility to do that...I will bet on the joke for now.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not hard if the voxels look like this. Someone with a pair of 3D glasses look at it. Is it really "3D"? Laughing

It's late. I need to stop thinking and go to bed. Very Happy

Stay tuned to the BhoM site for news on this project.

Now on ModDB!

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only thing that I see that needs to be improved is the infantry. They just look like blobs, all you can make out is their weapons.

EDIT: Taking a second look, they seem fine. Great job, like where your going with this.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is definitely unique.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like everything except the infantry, which imo do look like weird oversized blobs, evertything else looks really good.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keep the buildings and voxels as solids like the pictures in the opening post, it's ridiculously hard to distinquish them from the terrain otherwise. Other than the infantry (which needs serious work for the reason Morpher brought up) and the Allied Parts on the sidebar, I really do like the look of this. Great work.

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now I get the storyline, President Dugan and Premier Romanov were bored one day after fighting Yuri and wanted to play a video game. So they asked Einstein to create a game for them to play. Einstein, out of ideas, even threw away a silly game about a crystal called Tiberium and having GDI and Nod fight over it. In the end, Einstein designed a warfare simulation game, using wireframe objects with no allegience to not offend either side.

Yup, that's it. Anyhow, maybe you should make a new wrench animation, the big silver wrench seems out of place.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True. I did say the sidebar is a WIP. The wrench will go away soon. I'm gonna do some other nifty graphical changes too. Smile

The infantry will prolly stay for the time being, simply 'cause redrawing them is gonna suck. And don't worry, that hollow tank idea seemed like a cool idea at first but it sucks when you have a massive multi-team clash in the middle of a garrisonable town, so the vehicles will stay solid.

VOs are gonna change once I get replacements.

Oh, before I forget:

Known bugs/obvious errors
- Gunship sounds like a jet(simply forgot to change the move sound).
- Must pick 'Battlezone Team' as your country, or else crashy unfun times will be had.
- Although I haven't seen this happen since the .4 Beta, the game used to crash seemingly randomly, usually as you're about to annihilate an AI player(i.e. you're at the last push wiping every defense structure out). If anyone runs into this type of crash let me know.

Now on ModDB!

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any one else having problems trying to play the mod?

I will double click on the exe. and after a few minuets the exe just disappears, and nothing happens...

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:
Any one else having problems trying to play the mod?

I will double click on the exe. and after a few minuets the exe just disappears, and nothing happens...

Do you mean the launcher window goes white and hangs or it just vanishes? If it's the former it could be just the loading time, 'cause it takes a little bit to get going, even on my semi-new laptop.

Now on ModDB!

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The buildings should be solid black but with double thick outlines IMO. You could try do units the same (or alternatively make them SHP).

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe blue wireform for water (if their is water) at times hard to notice difference between terrain and units i.e. eye strain but interesting concept.

Also instead of corpses left behind, maybe some from of "deleted from system" death animation.

Finally SW idea - BSOD or IE? XD

I'm almost wanting a wireform bike with a line trailer XD

Also to improve system performance and further emphasize retro look I would remove transparancy to achieve solid colors.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, BSoD. As hilarious as that sounds, I don't think it would fit too well really. Maybe an 'Insert Coin' SW to get 'extra lives' a.k.a. reinforcement drop.

One of my coworkers I tested with suggested water, and even a Generals concept. While the water idea is possible it'd look weird and IMO would take the BZ theme too far, same with adding Generals.

What I really need is a fix(non-Ares if at all possible) for cloaking Mines so that they can have CloakRadius=0 and not cloak half your base as you're laying minefields. AltImage doesn't do the effect I'm looking for.

Now on ModDB!

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So this is how the original looked like (I only played a newer one for the PSP). A very interesting concept. I like it.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive busted out my 3D glasses... the 3D experiment isnt quite right, but whatever. I think you're shade of blue is the problem.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh whatever, that idea was just a joke. I will look into the double-thick building outlines idea this weekend though.

Now on ModDB!

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Definately should do water, and even wireframe trees (or just outlined).

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Definately should do water, and even wireframe trees (or just outlined).

No trees, that's what the pyramid and box-shaped obstacles are for. In the original arcade, obstacles like those were riddled everywhere and were impassable. I can make those into "trees" instead of the "rocks" they are now so players can destroy them, but not sure on if I wanna do that just yet.

Let's suppose I do implement water combat. How should the ships look (besides wireframey, that's a given Wink )? Other suggestions?

These are good, keep 'em coming! Very Happy

Now on ModDB!

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would think the ships would look like land vehicles. I can't really think of another way to render them.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A general-looking boat, a bigger boat, and an aircraft carrier.

Remus
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yurisarmy wrote:
It's not hard if the voxels look like this. Someone with a pair of 3D glasses look at it. Is it really "3D"?

Atari2600 wrote:
Ive busted out my 3D glasses... the 3D experiment isnt quite right, but whatever. I think you're shade of blue is the problem.

I got a pair of 3D glasses in the newspaper today for some unknown promotional. Having seen this thread, I saved them to test out on that image posted above. I don't know how much it will vary from one pair of 3d glasses to another, but I can say that I definitely see a difference between viewing the image normally and using the glasses. The blue may be off, but with the glasses on, the red outlined tanks are clearly "popping off the screen."

It may have been just a joke for you to try the 3d effect, but actually, from testing that image, I think it may be worth considering a 3d version of your mod. It's so unique. The real test would be to see if the 3d effect looks funky when units are on slopes. Otherwise, on the flat plane, the 3d effect works reasonably correctly.

jimbo
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject:  hm Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm weird. it only mods half of the game... half of the pics are wire framed while the rest of the game is perfectly normal. somethin is up with my game. or this game isnt fully developed yet? my bad if so.

Dudeinabox
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allied General wrote:
Also instead of corpses left behind, maybe some from of "deleted from system" death animation.

THIS!

Looks well swish can't wait to get my hands on it and give it a go.

Crimmy: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: hm Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jimbo wrote:
Hmm weird. it only mods half of the game... half of the pics are wire framed while the rest of the game is perfectly normal. somethin is up with my game. or this game isnt fully developed yet? my bad if so.

You propably have other mod files or INI files in your RA2 folder.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Naval warfare test:

This is still just in planning, so if you like it, I'll include it. The "water" is the blue wireframe area. The glistening twinkle is hardcoded I guess, so that's as good as it gets unfortunately.

Naval forces planned:

Gunboat - Softens up shore targets for landings

Destroyer- Main naval combatant. Good against armored units and defense structures. May feature air strike capability in the future.

Lander - Amphibious transport. Holds either 6 troops(tentative).
No images available.

Cruiser - Anti-aircraft defense ship. Weak against Destroyers.
No images available.

You may notice the units don't sit squarely on the tile they reside in. that has already been addressed.

Again I invite your constructive criticism on this concept(something the CNCNZ guys could use a little work at).

Now on ModDB!

jimbo
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I scanned the my folder, and re-installed it multiple times, i have no idea why its still doing it. only thing that isn't effected is terrain and minimap. is there a certain map you're supposed to chose? or any map will appear wire-framed if done correctly?

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Never thought I'd say this, but, your ship voxels should be blockier I think

curved lines don't feel as retro as the other stuff

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figured as much. Meh, I'll just convert this one for YNT and redesign it.

@ jimbo:
There are specialized maps that should already be filtered through and all the rest filtered out. Standard YR maps are incompatible. They all have names with this pattern:

(# players) Mode: Size XX

So you have (2) Standard: Small 01, (4) Advanced: Medium 02, etc.

Sometimes you have to manually select a mode when you first play the mod or if you switch back to vanilla YR and back to the mod again.

Now on ModDB!

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Triangulate those curves, it'll look a lot better that way.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just do the vehicles as SHPs, would look loads better IMO.

Also the water should be lighter blue IMO, and with the sparkling it just looks like space TBH. #Tongue

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, that's why I was kinda reluctant to even have water maps, 'cause you can't fix that. Oh well, there's gotta be a workaround. Actually, I have an idea... :p

Now on ModDB!

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Care to make a Launchbase version of this? It would be really nice to see mods being compatible with Launchbase.

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes anyone who played 80's games knew many where wire frame games, personally i still like'em

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Once the next beta is delivered I will make a Launchbase version as well. Keep in mind Ares is not required.

Now on ModDB!

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, didn't really think it was, but Launch Base is still better at managing mods than sifting through the RA2 directory for an installer.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update:

I'm currently uploading another gameplay demo on youtube. I used a different program to produce it so it wouldn't be blurry before uploading, so hopefully YouTube doesn't screw it up too much. As I type this it's gonna take 12 hours for a 15-minute vid (I have kinda shitty speed out here, freakin' Marines and their Call of Duty Razz )

Anyway, in this 0.60 alpha demo you'll see the units clearer and you'll hear some new unit voice-overs. I forgot to turn the music up though, so only the menu theme will play for a few seconds after the Advanced Mode Skirmish match is over. I'll remember to fix that for next time.

I'll update this post and do an update on my site once it finishes uploading. Smile

EDIT: Wow, upload speed went way up unexpectedly. Here it is folks!

Now on ModDB!

Symphonic
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is ridiculously cool, dude. Props on the original idea and the dedication to make it happen.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my eyes are damaged with the pics.lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Water Twinkle,
Couldnt you just comment out 787=TWNK1 as well as the art.ini entry for it? The only other use for it is for OreTwinkle, but I wouldnt think you would want that either.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cranium wrote:
Water Twinkle,
Couldnt you just comment out 787=TWNK1 as well as the art.ini entry for it? The only other use for it is for OreTwinkle, but I wouldnt think you would want that either.

TWNK1 is not used for water blinking effect, should be obvious enough after just having a glance at how the water one looks ingame and looking at twnk1.shp.

I am pretty positive it's engine generated effect (basing this assumption on an observation that water effect stays completely unchanged even if you tamper with stock game palette files such as anim.pal, unit*.pal and iso*.pal) but not absolutely sure. Anyone feel free to prove me wrong.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon