Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 am
All times are UTC + 0
Simple mod for a simple girl
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Simplegirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject:  Simple mod for a simple girl Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All I want to do is to create a mod that changes the health of units and buildings and defenses, and the damage they do. A rebalancing, if you will.

I have all the tools as far as I know, world builder, SDK, BIG editor.

But I can't find any tutorials for just doing a simple modification like this. I'm still muddling through the documentation folder in the SDK but it's about like starting a programming class in the middle of the semester.

Any tips on where to start, or a tutorial that isn't over my head (if such a thing exists, hm Very Happy), would be greatly appreciated. Even basic "copy these files over, edit them with BIG editor, save, compile" general stuff would help immensely.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe you should look around for a mod that does the balancing for you?

Unless you want to cheat of course... #Tongue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have looked around for one but so far no luck. But the internet is a big, scary place.

Like even basic basic stuff, is not explained well by the default documentation. Mod.xml, how do you create it? Does the worldbuilder create it for you, do you have to create it yourself, where do you create it...

I have a thousand whirling thoughts and I'm sure the actual modding of this is so very simple, if only I knew how to start.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you tried the Moddb? It's a big database for mods for all kinds of games.

Otherwise you'd have to wait for the guys with programming genes.

I can only draw stuff and work with older C&C games.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did not see any there that do what I want, but thank you for the linky. There is still some interesting stuff there I might try.

I have to go to class but I will check back later, I am very patient. Smile

I will also keep trying to find a more new user friendly guide in the meantime as well.

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If only these newer games had a rules.ini file...

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scorched Earth wrote:

Yeah, would it be that hard to make such a modable game as TS/RA2?

Golan
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was a quite useful tutorial by Xenoninja, however it seems to be offline ATM.

Anyways, the only thing you need for editing unit stats is the SDK and a simple texteditor (Notepad will do fine). You don´t need and shouldn´t use a big editor. The worldbuilder isn´t capable of changing objects in the game.

What you have to do in order to edit objects is basically creating a mod to which you then add modified versions of the original objects. You won´t have to create anything from scratch as there´s more than enough templates already available in the SDK and most stuff will mean simply modifying existing files.

So, at first you should build the base of your mod, the mod´s file structure and the mod.xml. Create a new folder in "[...]\MOD SDK\Mods" and give it a nickname for your mod (this name may not be any longer than 15 characters!) then create a new folder inside this one that is named Data, you should now have the folder "[...]\MOD SDK\Mods\[Your Mod]\Data".
Next you will need a Mod.xml - just open the data folder of the SampleMOD and copy its Mod.xml to your own, newly created data folder. You´ll be properly editing it later, but for now you can already clean it up for later use. Open it with a texteditor and delete all but one line that starts with <Include type="all" (you can delete them all if you wish but it´s useful to keep one as a template unless you´ve created your first own one) - make sure to leave the two <Include type="reference" lines intact!

Now you have to add the objects that you want to edit to your mod. You can find all the code files of the objects of Tiberium Wars in "[...]\MOD SDK\CnC3Xml". If you want to modify an object, search for its file and copy it to your mod´s data folder. Note that you can also use subfolders to keep the files organized. After you´ve done so, edit mod.xml again and add a new Include with type="all" for every file of your mod and adjust the value of source= to the path to this new file relative to mod.xml.
Example: Let´s say you want to edit the Predator Tank. Copy its file (GDIPredator.xml) from "[...]\MOD SDK\CnC3Xml\GDI\Units" to "[...]\MOD SDK\Mods\[Your Mod]\Data\GDI\Units" and make sure to remove the write-protection from the copy. Open the Mod.XML and edit the type=all include that you left over from the samplemod to point to your new file. It should look like this:
Code:
[...]
   <Includes>
      <Include type="reference" source="DATA:static.xml" />
      <Include type="reference" source="DATA:global.xml" />
      <Include type="all" source="GDI/Units/GDIPredator.xml" />
   </Includes>
[...]

Repeat this process for every object/file you want to modify - just copy them to your mod and include them in mod.xml.
You can then edit the values of these objects directly in their files. Note that weapons (and all related values like range, damage, rof etc.) are stored in weapon.xml.

Now you have to compile your mod. In order to avoid having to use the command prompt every time, create a new .bat (create a .txt and rename it to .bat) file in your ModSDK folder. Edit it and write in it:
Code:
BuildMod.bat [Your Mod]

(Where [Your Mod] is the name of your mod´s folder.)

Run it and wait for the DOS window to disappear. If all went well, you should now be able to find a new folder named after your mod with a [Your Mod].big file in the mods folder of your "My Documents/Tiberium Wars" folder. Create a new .txt in this folder and add the following text to it:
Code:
mod-game 1.9
add-big [Your Mod].big

Then, rename it to [Your Mod].SkuDef.

You should now be able to run your mod and test your changes.

0warfighter0 wrote:
Scorched Earth wrote:

Yeah, would it be that hard to make such a modable game as TS/RA2?

The file system of TW is primarily made for performance, not modding. It´s simply not efficient to do it the way TS/RA2 did...

Last edited by Golan on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bah, efficient my arse, if I could mod it I might have actually bought a copy...

Scorched Earth
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They should at least look into making "mod friendly" versions. =P

Jimmyjimmyjimjim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After the [Your Mod].SkuDef step, how does one run the mod?

Golan
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can run mods from the ModBrowser. The easiest way to access it is to open the Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars Center from the CNC3 Autorun, then select Game Broweser and switch to the mod tab.
Note that you must have at least Version 1.7 installed to access the mod browser, however having 1.9 installed is advisable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can also make a shortcut to quick launch it:

-take an already existing shortcut
-check that the target is already between ""
-add a space after the target then add -modConfig "<path>"

Example of target:
"E:\Command & Conquer 3\CNC3.exe" -win -modConfig "C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Mes documents\Command & Conquer 3 Les guerres du Tiberium\mods\retarded3\CNCRetarded RC1_1337.SkuDef"

Don't let the fact I'm french and I have french folders bother you Rolling Eyes
Also forget about the -win (i'm playing in window mode,can't just play and do nothing else on the computer Very Happy )

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum