Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
Open Map Competition 4!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [33 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject:  Open Map Competition 4!
Subject description: It's time to terminate with these symmetrical maps!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I said in the previous news, I've been working hard on the new Open Map Competition. When I finally finished the content and posted the press release at CnCCommunity.net, I got cought by my dad... afterall, I was a little insane at the moment.. it was 4:00 am and I had to wake up 5:00 am. Nice! I still didn't sleep much since then, but I'm feeling better now.

Anyway, here's the press release of the event:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil - June 20th 2007 - We are proud to announce the opening of the Open Map Competition 4 (OMC4) today. The OMC is a world-wide mapping contest for Command & Conquer games and is being organized by prominent C&C sites. The OMC will serve to foster new mapping talent and to recognize and reward the community's best mappers.

The Open Map Competition 4 will only accept maps for Command & Conquer 3 this time without symmetry. The OMC will run for two months, with no entry limit per mapper. Top maps will be published and publicized across the community and will be in the running to earn prizes including software, soundtracks, t-shirts, mousemats and much more. Note that the prizes list has not been finalized at the time. Each map will be reviewed 5 judges selected from amongst the C&C fansite and mapping community. Judging will be blind, with judges being unaware of the author of a particular map.

We invite everyone to visit the Open Map Competition section at CnCCommunity.net to read the complete list of rules and obtain information about prizes. Also available are winning maps from previous Open Map Competitions as well as tutorial information for new mappers at the FAQ.

The Open Map Competition - a perfect opportunity for everyone to improve their maping skills, to show off our community's talent, and to crown the best C&C 3 mappers of the year!

To your map editors, gentle C&C fans! May the best mapper win!

- The Open Map Competition Organization

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those wondering why we are not supporting TS in this time, the reason is simple. I'm unable to organize two games at once. It demands a lot of work, we have to depend on a lot of people and each of them with their real life issues and submitting prizes would be very expensive and problematic. So, considering that C&C3 is the most popular game at the moment, I'm going with it. But I promise I'll organize a kick ass TS map competition later.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, a new OMC, and even C&C 3 only too Very Happy Too bad i am bad at mapping C&C 3 maps Razz

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally, some real talent is needed! I knew I did correct when I didn't reveal the WIP I had been working on for a while Wink

Btw, Banshee, you should get some rest, we can always wait for the news Smile

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Map Competition 4! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

For those wondering why we are not supporting TS in this time...

No.....TS Sad Crying or Very sad You have upset Ixith!! RAWR! XD

I hope that in the near future there will be some type of OMCish competition for TS MP maps. (not including the SMMC retry since thats SP anyways) And also something for the RA2/YR maps. (as yes i do map RA2/YR to just havent released any yet #Tongue )

and im assuming that all other CnC games are also out as you only are saying stuff about TW.

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=| Im disappointed. The RA2/YR maps never even got released from OMC3, and a 'kickass TS map competition' is promised? Come on...TS is too easy to map for. Making a fun Red Alert 2/YR enviornment is much harder then TS. all you do in TS is slap down some tiberium and fancy lamp posts. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Clarkson on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only C+C3? Dude, that is totally ghey...

Meh, I was so hoping to participate in the next RA2 OMC. Oh well, I'll release some stuff then.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I'd prefer a TS mapping competition myself...

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Koen
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&C3 is a good target, due to the lack of good included maps Mr. Green

Wess
TS Mapping GOD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

indeed, but i'm afraid there gonna be to many people doing half a job, but i like to be wrong here, because we need better maps!
and a competition brings out the best in people, so PLZ prove me wrong Wink

to think of it u schould have called it something else then OMC, OMC CNC3 edition maybe, not OMC 4 imo.(just a detail i known, but i have good memories about the OMC's)

Last edited by Wess on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:38 pm; edited 3 times in total

Wiziwig
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whole Competition = Needs more TS mapping.

You can't just cut TS from the OMC. That's just not very nice. ;_;
Heres hoping for a TS Map Competition soon. I was going to use OMC as a excuse to start mapping again, but it'll have to wait...

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WTF is all to be said.

So, you're going to just drop TS and RA2? I've yet to see any RA2 OMC maps, and you act as if you have to do everything yourself. Get someone else to do it, dude. I was already wanting to do an OMC4 map for RA2.

Disappointing.

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, the best game ever was removed from OMC, how nice of you, I'd rather like a competition for only TS! How sad. Disappointed!

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We've had enough TS only competitions, seriously. Rolling Eyes

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe people just don't realise how much work Banshee did for the last OMC. Python said over a year ago (February 2006) that he would host the next OMC. What happened to that? Banshee does all of this off his own back (to the point where he spent a fortune sending out prizes for the last OMC) and people say they will help then silently drop away. I don't have the time and patience to do everything he does and I doubt most of you do either so unless you actually want to support the OMC yourself then shut up. Banshee originally did say that OMC3 would be his last so consider yourselves lucky that he actually did do something.

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, however they shouldn't remove the most popular game among us, TS is the most mapped cnc game. It's sad I didn't manage to participate in an OMC with TS.

Mighty BOB!
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You ungrateful whining <Censoured>. You disgust me. Be grateful that he is even organizing this. His plan was to never do it again after the conflicts that happened in OMC3.

If you want your little TS maps so much then go organize your own damn competition.

Banshee has the full support of most of the C&C Webmasters in his decision for only including Tiberium Wars in this iteration of the OMC.

If you don't like it, tough. Learn how to map for Tiberium Wars or wait until the next OMC that includes TS &/or RA2/YR.

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's disappointing he didn't include the most popular game, I think he could have least included that game. Don't get me wrong; I don't want to sound like a whiner, it's just lame.

I'm actually thinking of organizing such a competition.

Last edited by Crash on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
'm unable to organize two games at once. It demands a lot of work, we have to depend on a lot of people and each of them with their real life issues and submitting prizes would be very expensive and problematic. So, considering that C&C3 is the most popular game at the moment, I'm going with it. But I promise I'll organize a kick ass TS map competition later.

As I said before I'm unable to organize an OMC with more than one game. OMC3 was a hell to organize, specially after the maps started being reviewed. I hired people to make sure my work on other games would be minimal, but, no, it wasn't.

TS took 3 weeks to be totally reviewed. Four judges took less than two weeks. One judge (who replied to this topic) had to be interviewed on MSN to give the ratings after some heavy pressure. No wonders why there were so many complaints on him later.

Generals took 3 months to be reviewed. One of the judges gave up. The organizer did a fair job, but he was a busy person, which delayed the results in at least 2 weeks after all maps were judged. He didn't do a map pack for fans. It was his duty to do it. I still don't have all Generals maps in my hard disk and not all rates, so I can't do it either.

At the RA2 area, things were much worse. We took too long to find an organizer for it. 2 judges disappeared. The organizer never looked for them either and he also dropped the job. I had to interfere hard on it to finally found out (3 months after the deadline) that they gave up. One of the judges didn't look at the triggers. I had to look for two judges, who didn't submitted maps, in the back scenes to judge the maps. There were also some scoring problems before I take it over. I also got too busy with university by the end of the year and that delayed considerably the results, which were revealed 6 months later. I was too much disapointed later to make a RA2 map pack, but I'll do it once it's possible.

Three games also gave me a lot of problems in terms of prizes. APOC refused to send prizes to nine people, He said he could send it to a maximum of five people (so, if we take only one game, I won't have to ship more EA prizes with my own pocket). There were too much prizes promised by people that never became a reality. People were hardly specific on what they could really give. "Hey! I can give some games for some of the winners"., "Rrright!'. Negotiations with EA were hard. On each email, he changed what he could offer and confused me to hell. In the end he decided to include OMC in the same group of the other events that were part of the C&C 10th Anniversary. It took him 5 months to finally send the prizes and it took more other 7 months to send them to the winners, since FedEx prices scared the hell out of me.

Depending on a big group of people is a very problematic thing, specially online, where you cannot talk to any of them personally. Dealing with this and, at the same time, having a job, a university that pressures you with a crap load of work and tests and running big networks and C&C sites at the same time is damn hard. And these other people who I had to rely on, also had their activities that also consumed their time and they were in a different time zone than me. Sure, I've made a lot of mistakes, specially with the prizes, but I've learned some good lessons from it and, dispite these problems, the event rocked. But the main lesson is... I can't do this kind of thing again. I am sorry. I wish I could have TS, RA2, Generals and C&C3 in one contest, but... if I want to do this kind of contest, I have to do one game at once. So, if C&C3 is successfull, we can follow with Generals, then RA2 and finally TS. If it flops, it flops.. too bad. But at least, in this way, it is possible to have OMCs.

Edit: In a small note: Thanks, Mighty BOB!

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it's not like we, as in the mappers, are expecting a physical prize for winning. Hell, community recognition and/or a custom rank with a pat on the back is good enough IMO.

Also we are simply unhappy that he decided to choose TW because not that many people really do have TW. Plus, TW doesn't have the support from users in the community as TS or RA2.

Mighty BOB! wrote:
You ungrateful whining <Censoured>. You disgust me.

yea we may have a problem with things but at least us who have posted complaints haven't posted something like that. In fact thats somewhat insulting. I simply was inputting my opinion in on something and what not. Now you try to turn this into "OMG they are complaining i must flame themz!"

Everyone knows and respects Banshee for his hard work in even organizing another OMC and that he is trying to support the new game. Its just that since more than half of the community (well over half) is more towards TS or RA2. So then why make it a TW competition?

*sees banshee posted* So all in all your just sectioning the OMC4 into parts that will take course over the year so its easier to handle then? If so then ok.

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, Banshee, so you actively are supporting Mighty BOB! flaming, but you had some problem with IcySon? WTF.

It's fair to note I find that act pure faggotry, and will NOT be participating in any community event held here.

Also; you seem to be not going to release the RA2 maps. Just release them, it's as possible as attaching them to a thread.

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, to be honest, the thanks didn't come to his flames. It was for the rest of his post.

Quote:
*sees banshee posted* So all in all your just sectioning the OMC4 into parts that will take course over the year so its easier to handle then? If so then ok.

Yea, should take up to 9 or 10 months. Technically, each game is 2 months, but the time to organize and the interval to pack the games... if the plan works, of course.

In a short note: I've censoured the flames in this topic.

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I apologize for maybe have over reacted a little, I'll be very grateful for a TS competition. Thanks Banshee! Very Happy

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, Modder, Banshee was not supporting the flames.
As far as I know, Banshee supporting flaming, would be something very out of character for him.

And I agree at what Desu said. We need a TW Open Map Comp. Lets be honest- There has been plenty of TS to go around.

It is quite apparent that the TS mappers just want the scene. We need to find new talent(s), and a TW OMC will do it.
But, a RA2 OMC is good. But we know how much support that would get, at least from this community.

m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He's showing support for Mighty BOB!'s thread, which is flaming anyone who has some form of complaint with it. Which, you know, is more than acceptable for people to complain.

And anyone interested in RA2 OMC4, MSN me. yrtsmodder666@yahoo.com

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just don't use the OMC name on it.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noooooo... you know why...

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Oh, Banshee, so you actively are supporting Mighty BOB! flaming, but you had some problem with IcySon? WTF.
It's fair to note I find that act pure faggotry, and will NOT be participating in any community event held here.
He's showing support for Mighty BOB!'s thread, which is flaming anyone who has some form of complaint with it. Which, you know, is more than acceptable for people to complain.

I really see no point in taking it all so seriously Rolling Eyes

cwajga.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cwajga.zip
 Filesize:  15.44 KB
 Downloaded:  164 Time(s)

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Last edited by Team Black on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't we just shut up and make a small competition for TS mapping, like Denmon did for "small building contest"? We don't need prices, only the competition is what matters. And Judges should be capable of PMing the results for the competition host.

Thank you.

EDIT: Yes, I didn't quite read Banshee's posts...

Koen
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure if I want to add fuel to this discussion. But a C&C3 map contest can bring in some new people into the community. Who knows what talents are still hidden, that have joined C&C gaming after the TS days?

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The OMC is moving on, whilst it is of course sad the older games are not featured you still have to include the new games otherwise it would be, well, dumb and if the newer game takes longer to handle then thats unfortunate. I still don't see how it can be that hard to simply make a map competition based on the early 2d games and let OMC continue with the later games. TS and RA2 cut from OMC, yes its said and dissapointing but a new competition that does not require more effort and time from banshee operated by sensible members should not be that hard to create.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exactly.

Dreadlord
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

non-symmetrical? Finally, I hate this damn thing in EA maps

Mighty BOB!
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I may have flown off the handle a bit with those first 2 sentences. After seeing all that he went through behind the scenes to organize it like I have you might have as well if the general reaction was negative.

However I will not apologize for sticking up for Banshee and his work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [33 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!